Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Redoing some stuff on a D16Y8 car, got it all buttoned up and the water pipe that fits from the thermostat housing to the waterpump was leaking. Pulled it off and found the Oring on the thermo housing side was split. Been ripping my hair out trying to find one, honda claims they dont make the part anymore.

Anyone have a tip on where to get one? home depot or otherwise? Or maybe a newer replacement part number from honda?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks fellas, someone gave me the wrong # the first time. I was looking for 91315. So I am grateful

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
When reinstalling, you can use dish soap to help it slide into place.

DonWon

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
Scotch-brite or 600 grit sandpaper will also help remove any scale/corrosion buildup, that must be removed to prevent cutting the o-ring edge.

I do not recommend Vaseline, unless the rubber is Buna-N or Viton for certain. Vaseline can cause silicone-based products (o-rings, lube, hoses...and latex condoms!) to deteriorate. Dish soap can cause some foaming since you should be using distilled water, so in this case pure glycol will be your best bet. It's very slippery. For o-rings that touch fuel or oil just use fresh motor oil.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Scotch-brite or 600 grit sandpaper will also help remove any scale/corrosion buildup, that must be removed to prevent cutting the o-ring edge.

I do not recommend Vaseline, unless the rubber is Buna-N or Viton for certain. Vaseline can cause silicone-based products (o-rings, lube, hoses...and latex condoms!) to deteriorate. Dish soap can cause some foaming since you should be using distilled water, so in this case pure glycol will be your best bet. It's very slippery. For o-rings that touch fuel or oil just use fresh motor oil.
Speaks the truth!

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
He is correct. But I'm not sure who fills their coolant up with distilled water and glycol to check if they have fixed their leaks. Flush the system good after verifying no leaks.

DonWon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts