Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm not new to the scene first thing first lol. I have been having a few issues with my engine and was wondering if you guys had any pointers or what not I belong to a few other forums and they mainly deal with swaps but DOHC swaps. I need some info from people who deal with D swaps . I have a JDM D16a, thats it D16a nothing after the "a" lol. From what I have read up on its exactly the same as the D16z6. I have a 99civic ex. I used my y8 intake manifold and y8 exhaust manifold, OBD2 alternator and oil pump. The car is OBD2, the engine is OBD1 with the OBD2 parts on it. I hope i didnt lose anybody. I used the OBD2-OBD1 conversion harness for the dizzy. Now what I need help on.

Since its a OBD1 block it has no whole tapped for a knock sensor. What do I do, because my ECU is looking for it. I need to pass inspection.

Also is there any harm in having the y8 intake manifold on the z6 longblock?
If I were to change the ECU to the stock z6 (OBD1 P28, if im not mistaken) would the car run lean considering the y8 injectors are bigger?

Is there a difference between the y8 and z6 oil pumps, because i have a timing belt whine, its driving me nuts i used the z6 water pump, tensioner and i may have used the y8 timing belt not sure if there is any difference. but what combo would be best

Please if any of you guys can make sense of this please let me know or give me any suggestions, sorry if this is alot but its easier to put it all in one thread then three or four. thank you lots guys

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
You can use the p28 ecu cause it does not look for knock sensor just need a jumper harness to use it...i would use the z6 oil pump....or you could try this for the knock sensor i dont know if it works or not..http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1181854

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Hey guys, I'm not new to the scene first thing first lol. I have been having a few issues with my engine and was wondering if you guys had any pointers or what not I belong to a few other forums and they mainly deal with swaps but DOHC swaps. I need some info from people who deal with D swaps . I have a JDM D16a, thats it D16a nothing after the "a" lol. From what I have read up on its exactly the same as the D16z6. I have a 99civic ex. I used my y8 intake manifold and y8 exhaust manifold, OBD2 alternator and oil pump. The car is OBD2, the engine is OBD1 with the OBD2 parts on it. I hope i didnt lose anybody. I used the OBD2-OBD1 conversion harness for the dizzy. Now what I need help on.

Since its a OBD1 block it has no whole tapped for a knock sensor. What do I do, because my ECU is looking for it. I need to pass inspection.

Also is there any harm in having the y8 intake manifold on the z6 longblock?
If I were to change the ECU to the stock z6 (OBD1 P28, if im not mistaken) would the car run lean considering the y8 injectors are bigger?

Is there a difference between the y8 and z6 oil pumps, because i have a timing belt whine, its driving me nuts i used the z6 water pump, tensioner and i may have used the y8 timing belt not sure if there is any difference. but what combo would be best

Please if any of you guys can make sense of this please let me know or give me any suggestions, sorry if this is alot but its easier to put it all in one thread then three or four. thank you lots guys
I'm pretty sure you're shit out of luck on the knock sensor thing.

Injectors on the Y8 are the same size as the Z6.

The Y8 oil pump has been created with the intent to make your motor die. Honda injected TONS of FAIL into those OBD2 pumps. The Z6 was made with LOTS of WIN.

This is really all I have for you.

·
Registered
801 Posts
no issue with running the y8 manifold other than blocking a few holes.

i'd convert the whole thing to obd1 and run on the p28. probably going to be easiest in the long run. you might need to use 92-95 injectors for that though, i think the resistance somewhere along the lines is different but i'm not certain. someone more versed in the obd changes could probably chime in and clear it up.

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
no issue with running the y8 manifold other than blocking a few holes.

i'd convert the whole thing to obd1 and run on the p28. probably going to be easiest in the long run. you might need to use 92-95 injectors for that though, i think the resistance somewhere along the lines is different but i'm not certain. someone more versed in the obd changes could probably chime in and clear it up.
OBD0- Needs resistor.
OBD1-2- No resistor.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can use the p28 ecu cause it does not look for knock sensor just need a jumper harness to use it...i would use the z6 oil pump....or you could try this for the knock sensor i dont know if it works or not..I finally did it!!! Knock sensor bypass!! Woot! Woot! - Honda-Tech
I know what the P28 does and does not look for, my problem is i need to pass inspection here in pennsylvania they run your cars codes and if the scanner cant/ wont read a p28 in a 99 vehicle i wont pass

I'm pretty sure you're shit out of luck on the knock sensor thing.

Injectors on the Y8 are the same size as the Z6.
but they arent interchangeable. and i think the y8 injectors flow more fuel

The Y8 oil pump has been created with the intent to make your motor die. Honda injected TONS of FAIL into those OBD2 pumps. The Z6 was made with LOTS of WIN.
This is really all I have for you.
i did not ask which pump is stronger, my oil pump works fine and this has been the same oil pump i have been using on both engines for almost 2 years. i wanted to know if there would be any reason why my timing belt would be squealing. thanks for your input

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
I know what the P28 does and does not look for, my problem is i need to pass inspection here in pennsylvania they run your cars codes and if the scanner cant/ wont read a p28 in a 99 vehicle i wont pass

i did not ask which pump is stronger, my oil pump works fine and this has been the same oil pump i have been using on both engines for almost 2 years. i wanted to know if there would be any reason why my timing belt would be squealing. thanks for your input
The injectors flow the same, and yes I know they aren't interchangable, you will need to swap clips if you wanted to switch em up.

I have no idea why it would be squealing, maybe too much tension?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the physical parts of the injectors are in fact different and is the reasoning i didnt use the OBD1 injectors. i would have also needed to cut the harness which i dont want to do. and i know the y8 intake manifold has a air assisted fuel injection. i filled those baabys up lol thats what i dont get lol i changed the timing belt twice thinking it was the wrong one and i torqued to specs twice, im scared if i loosen it up it will jump timing

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts

shit i forgot about about..you can give the link i posted a try not sure if it works or not but prob the only thing you can do to get it to pass inspection..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts