Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, it's time for me to upgrade the headlight bulbs in both my CRX and my wife's CRV. My night vision is getting kinda bad, and the headlights in my car have been getting dim for a while, being 3 years old and all. I only have low beams on the CRX since one of the high beam bulb holes is slightly melted.

I used the Sylania Silverstar Ultra's the last time I bought bulbs, just a standard 55w bulb with good output and white light (4100K). They were pretty good, but at $45 a set I can get HID's. There's also the new Sylvania zXe's, which are a step up from the Ultra's and a 4200K.

There are also some bulbs from Nokya that are 80w 5000K. I worry about these being 80w will burn something up, either the headlight housing (the lens is glass) or wiring.

Next, I've considered some HID's, especially for the wife's CRV more than my CRX. Some friends have had good luck with the DDMTuning kits and are around $40-50 shipped. I can get them with dual filament in both 35w and 55w, and I would want something like 4500K so it doesn't look blue. My concerns here are mostly I don't want it to look like a solar flare coming down the road and having the light dissipate. Also, I've heard the 55w will dim quicker than the 35w here.

I've also seen LED bulbs, but they don't seem like they would be too bright to me.

Lastly, I've read about modding 9012 and 9011 bulbs to fit in the low beam of my CRX. My coworker modded some 9005's for his low beams and they're pretty bright. This is an option as well, maybe modding some of the zXe or other bulbs.

Any thoughts or input is welcome. I'm tired of not being able to see, and we're taking a vacation in 2 weeks so I definitely wanna decide on hers by then.

·
Formally known as SPONSOREDCRX
3,566 Posts
I just put some GE Nighthawks in my semi. I had silverstars in there and I wasnt too impressed for the price. The nighthawks are wayyy better and cheaper if you look online.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
1. You have a CRX and you don't know about the mod to run 4 high beam bulbs?

2. Wire the headlights off of relays. Two 30A bosch units, one for high beams and one for low. Get some cheap ceramic sockets off of eBay and user those for the bulbs, using the stock wires to trip the relays.

Cheap HID kits are unreliable. They glare. They shift color temps, many times unevenly. I highly dislike them. I prefer the mods above, especially as a driver who has to deal with crap kits on all sorts of cars in NY/NJ. The glare is horrendous, especially if the moron owners don't at least re-align the lights.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

2. Wire the headlights off of relays. Two 30A bosch units, one for high beams and one for low. Get some cheap ceramic sockets off of eBay and user those for the bulbs, using the stock wires to trip the relays.

Cheap HID kits are unreliable. They glare. They shift color temps, many times unevenly. I highly dislike them. I prefer the mods above, especially as a driver who has to deal with crap kits on all sorts of cars in NY/NJ. The glare is horrendous, especially if the moron owners don't at least re-align the lights.
I didn't know until my co-worker told me about hit a bit ago.

I may go that route on my other CRX, I just want to put a bulb in and go on my CRX since it's an autox car and I need to shave weight as is.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Two relays and some 12g wire? *sighs* That weighs less than the stupid HID kits.

Drop the high beam bulbs in, then. They work very well, IMO.

I like the Nighthawks, but prefer the Silverstars.

Don't get the ZXEs, they are worse for nightvision. They are for looking cool. And exorbitantly overpriced.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts

the glare is from his is 100% because they are installed wrong or in a halogen headlight housing. they then look like complete shit and the light is everywhere except on the road. the proper way is use correct projectors even the cheap knockoff projectors seem to work good. funny because I have 10k hid in my tl highbeams which are not projectors just to annoy people that drive slow or more importantly get behind those retards with glaring hid and blind them the way they blind everyone else

in my tl(factory hid) and my tsx(factory hid) i have some cheapo ebay bulbs and they work great. as long as you have projectors in the lights hids are the way to go. ive used them for years. I only buy the xentec xenon but they are like 40 bucks for the kit. ive heard alot of bad reviews on them but ive bought like 10 sets and never had any issues with flickering or the common hid problems people notice.

glare is caused by retards that throw them in stock halogen headlight housings which is completely retarded but even then theirs still a way to get them to work in halogen headlights. in my old eg I had the tsx projectors retrofitted in the headlights and a the cheap ebay kits and the light output was identical to what i look at through my acura tl or tsx

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Two relays and some 12g wire? *sighs* That weighs less than the stupid HID kits.

Drop the high beam bulbs in, then. They work very well, IMO.

I like the Nighthawks, but prefer the Silverstars.

Don't get the ZXEs, they are worse for nightvision. They are for looking cool. And exorbitantly overpriced.
Well not really weight, but the extra wiring in the way. I've been happy with my Silverstar Ultras, may do some 9005's.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I'm probably going to do the 9005's in my low beams, but what do you guys think for my wife's CRV? I think it's an 9003/H4 bulb, but I know it's a dual beam.
Do a projector retrofit. Hit up hondalx97. He can get some quality stuff.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well not really weight, but the extra wiring in the way. I've been happy with my Silverstar Ultras, may do some 9005's.
I second the wiring upgrade.

I bet if you check with a DMM your loosing close to 2 V at the stock headlamp plugs comapred to battery voltage. Doesnt sound like much, but light output to voltage ratio makes a huge difference as the relationship is not linear.

Lets say for instance that the GE Nighthawks are rated for 1000 Lumens @ 12.8V

With 14.5 Volts, that output will increase to just over 1500 Lumens.

With 10.0 Volts, that output will drop to just over 500 Lumens.

Definitely consider upgrading the wiring like the Acid Beav said. I can say out of personal experience that the difference is very noticeable. It really makes the difference, and shows just how good a decent halogen bulb can perform.

Its cheap and very easy. Couple of 30A relays, 30' roll of 12 GA wire, 2 fusible links, and some replacement headlamp harnesses from Dorman. Just use one of the stock headlamp plugs to trip the relays as Beav said.

I got a number of comments after doing the upgrade. People couldn't figure out how my headlight were so damn bright. I just hid the wiring and relays inside the fender to keep the engine bay looking neat and tidy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts