Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
torch the bushing with alot of heat and try to burn it out, or the heat will make it weaker. Or you can press it out with hydraluic press, which IMO would be easiest.

With mine, i torched it real good, but that didnt work real well, so i pressed it out. The torching made the pressing a much easier process. :TU:

not a hard thing to do.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you're lucky, a hammer and a socket might be enough. If it sits in there tight as hell, a press would indeed be the easiest.
You'd have to be really friggin lucky. I used a 20 ton press on my bushings. The frame of the press was actually starting to twist before the bushings would come out.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
You'd have to be really friggin lucky. I used a 20 ton press on my bushings. The frame of the press was actually starting to twist before the bushings would come out.
yep........im pretty sure that they actually had my bushings on fires while pressig them out on one of the lca's................

hammer and a socket wont quiet cut it

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
i took out my lca and i need to replace my inner bushing. anyone have any good idea on how to get them in and out?
If the LCA's are out of the car take them to a shop to get the new bushing pressed in with a hydraulic press. Some things just aren't DIY, this is one of them.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Worked on my set of brand new LCAs ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Worked on my set of brand new LCAs ;)
Ya might want to include important information like that when you're telling someone that a hammer and socket would work. Wouldn't it suck if you received and acted on half assed advice like that and discovered it didn't work for you? There you are, your only mode of transportation and parts gathering in pieces and the advice you received is meaningless. That would suck!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the info. i try looking for a shop that will do it for me but everyone trying to charge me a hour of labor. i try torching it but that did not work. i even try getting a hammer that did not even work. i just going to keep on looking for a shop that dose it for under 30 hahaha. good thing i have a back up car. thanks everyone for the input!!!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Ya might want to include important information like that when you're telling someone that a hammer and socket would work. Wouldn't it suck if you received and acted on half assed advice like that and discovered it didn't work for you? There you are, your only mode of transportation and parts gathering in pieces and the advice you received is meaningless. That would suck!
I just said it MIGHT work. A sledge and a shaft of fitting dimension would give more force for the shell to loosen up.
Some penetrating oil along with it could also help.

I figured, since it was only ONE bushing, it might be worth a try, if that press was a little difficult to get to (weekend, far away, what ever).
It's all about being creative, and depending on how long the bushing has been there, and what environment it has been in,
there are different ways to get them out.

So, if you think the advice sucked so much, I'm sorry, but I just wanted to give the guy an alternative.
If it didn't work, then just move over to the next option.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
air hammer or take them off and go to a shop and have them replace them for you, prolly wont charge very much...

·
Registered
854 Posts
i have NEVER payed to have anyone press in/out new bushings. it can be done perfectly with a socket and hammer. i've done it on every civic i've owned.

freeze the new bushing for several hours before hand
1. pull the LCA off
2. remove old inner bushing sheath by cutting out rubber. use a hole saw or drill bit to remove enough rubber to get it out.
3. use metal blade sawzall to cut thru the remaining rubber and then thru the outer sheath. be careful not to cut into the LCA. tap out the bad bushing.
4. heat up LCA with torch for a few seconds.
5. hold new frozen bushing squarely over hole in the warmed up LCA, use a large washer over the inner sheath (resting on the outer sheath) with a large socket against the washer, then hammer in new bushing. remember to keep it square as you hammer it in

i have done it both with frozen bushings and without, and it's much easier to get them started when frozen

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.