Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Recently, I acquired a D16A1 engine that I think is new old stock. A brief search indicates the engine came out of US Integra's 1987 model. From all indications the engine has never been installed, however it does have a few scratches from being moved around. The fellow I acquired it from said he got it from an individual whom frequently purchased lots of "goodies" from various Honda dealerships.

I have a 86 Civic Si Hatchback. From what little research I have done, all indications are that this engine will drop right in. Will the transmission bolt up or do I need an Integra transmission and ECU? Will the current axles work? What else do I need to make this install possible?

I have never done an engine swap, however I am really keen to do one. Any pointers or information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

Here are the photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
There should be some good stuff in the DIY forum (check the sticky posts also).

There are a few random bits here and there if you haven't search already.

Motor looks tidy for sure! I don't know a lot since I don't deal directly with them (but you're in the right section) and AFAIK for sure, that these DOHC ZC's also came in RTSi AWD 4dr Egs (95-92) which makes some obd1... Unless you are going AWD, the transmissions should bolt up if I'm not mistaken (please correct me if I am wrong).

·
Registered
ek9 hatch, ej6 coupe
75 Posts
That's wild to find that. How do the seals look? I don't know if id throw that motor in after sitting that long without going thru it first.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I can walk you through the entire swap if you want but this has been done numerous times. I'd look on redpepperracing.com they have plenty of write-ups and stickies on the subject. but good looking 1st gen motor. that was my first build. the rods in that motor are the strongest of all the d series motors. the only downside to that motor is it is harder to get to obd-1 with all the vacuum stuff. but good looking motor. I'd just soak the cylinders with some sea foam and fire it up. you will need the integra transmission, axles, hubs, and brakes of course, get the shift linkage too, run the integra ecu for better performance or the si ecu will work too. there will be about 6 wires that will need repined if you use the integra engine harness. you have an engine out of an automatic, I don't think they have egr. but you will need a flywheel and a clutch. there are lots of other things as well but its very straight forward should be a no brainer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts