Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 hatch SIR
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys ever have this problem where the exuast stud on the head broke and half of it is still in the thread of the head? How am i supose to fix this? This is gonna suck If I have to pull the head off and take it to a machine shop.

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
i did this once with one of the bolts that hold the water spout to the head and ended up breaking an easy out off in it and then i HAD to take to a machine shop. that was when i was a TOTAL NOOB though and since then i have broken a timing belt tensioner bolt and fixed it no problem. here's what you do:

go get a set of easy outs and left-handed drill bits. use a punch to put a divot in the very center of the broken bolt so that your drill bit doesn't wander. then start with a small drill bit and work your way up until you have a very small amount of material left before you start getting into the threads. just make sure you don't go too big and drill out some of the threads in the head. then get an easy out that fits in the hole you drilled. it's going to need to be at least a 1/4 inch in the hole. now spray the whole thing down with pb blaster and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes. then lightly hammer the easy out into the hole and start trying to unscrew the broken bolt slowly. if you see the easy out start to flex then back off. if you break one of those then its over. you should be able to back the broken bolt right out of the hole and go have a beer :)

edit: left-handed drill bits are not necessary, i just mentioned them because sometimes just drilling the hole with those will back the bolt out.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
LH bits for the win!

Sometimes when they do dig in, the remains of the bolt just screw out.

jew, you'll fit right in here until TD16 is back up!

·
Registered
96 hatch SIR
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a great way to go but the stud broken was the 1 in the far right and room is gonna be limited unless I remove the ac fan and condenser, even If I do remove it I don't know if a drill will fit in that postition to drill a bit in there.

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
remove everything you can and see how it goes. if it comes down to it pull the head. i know it sucks, but you gotta make sure the drill is perfectly straight or else you'll just end up digging a hole in the threads. there's no easy trick to removing a broken bolt.

just to clarify, the stud is broken off flush with the head, right? i'm assuming that you would know to try some vice grips if part of the stud is sticking out.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
well check the broken bolt surface..
if it's inclined there's no way to drill straight in without damaging the head threads.
Use a copper tubing or alluminium one and use it as a guide for the bit inside the thread.

(i'm making efforts to write the best english I know even if it's my 3rd spoken language)

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I JUST removed two half-broken off bolts in a head I traded for. What I did is take my Dremel and put a thin line down the middle of it for a flat edge driver. The constant vibrations, the little heat it created, and with a simple twist of the driver I took both out quick and easy.

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
i've done that before when there was 1/8" or more of the bolt sticking out, but i'd be scared to score the head if the bolt is broken flush with the surface. my hand isn't steady enough with a dremel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts