Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, this my first time doing this. I have a 1993 civic hatch, it has a d16z6 with a turbo kit. Im boosting 10lbs, ibought the car already boosted. Guy told me he rebuilt the motor but i do not believe him. Iwant to rebuild the whole motor, pistions, rods, etc. im on a tight budget, anybody can help me with a rebuild kit tht can take 10lbs of boost safely or at least 8lbs safely. The only thing i know how to do is chnage brakes :(, but i want to learn and this is the only way. I want to be able to say I built this car. im only 16 and iwant to make myself proud. I just need someone to get me started, like wat rebuild kit and where ican get parts online at and wat tools ineed and how much would the tools be.

·
Registered
honda civic
410 Posts
if its your dd only car and it runs fine i would not touch it unless your going for lot more power. and your boosting 10 pounds that tells me nothing lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iwanted to noe if boosting 10lbs on a stock motor too much?
Nd reason for a rebuild cus its smoking, guy told me piston rings are not set to specs and my water pump is going bad, plus iwant to clear my head about it being rebuilt or not.

·
Formally D_Tuned
97 civic HX
2,884 Posts
Post pics of the setup and Ill make my final judgement then.

Are you sure the engine is smoking and not the turbo due to bad seals?

Being that your 16, I want to just recommend getting a header and learning how to properly maintain a vehicle in its entirety before diving in head first into someone else's project with no background knowledge. Maybe after you do a little research and feel confident pick up a spare engine and build it on the side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
being 16 isnt nuthin, ive had a 95 gsr turbo on 15lbs also but thts not important,. ive been paying for all my work done to my cars nd its not the point of spending the money, its just the point of sayin tht i myself built this car. My mech is really good but its time for me to get my hands dirty. My mech said the turbo is good, he said the piston rings are the problem, told me ican change the piston rings nd ill be set, but if ima open the motor mines well rebuild it so ican sleep better. ihave a picture in my album.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
One thing you should know that lbs/psi is irrelevant. The safe side of a stock rods is 200hp and it will be good enought for DD.

But, if you think your car needs work and you want to learn then contact our sponsors on this site. Go-autoworks or RC or fj dist, check out there wedsite and then decide your budget.

If your power goal is 200hp then your stock engine can handle it, just make sure the car has a tune...make sure...<<<<<it has a tune, not a tune-up.

·
Registered
2006 Acura TL 6MT
656 Posts
iwanted to noe if boosting 10lbs on a stock motor too much?
Nd reason for a rebuild cus its smoking, guy told me piston rings are not set to specs and my water pump is going bad, plus iwant to clear my head about it being rebuilt or not.
You bought a turbo'd car when the seller told you the rings were installed incorrectly, and the most work you've done on a car are brakes?

Good job.

Sounds like you have a headache/money pit down the road.

·
Banned
17 Posts
My boy built a z6 and got a Bottom end kit off fjdistributers.com it came with vitara pistons, rings, i beams and arp rod bolts. He got up to 330hp on the first time he tuned and was expecting over 400hp all said and done but he broke the axles the next day and was a week away from getting deployed so he just sold the engine. But with that said he said it was straight foward putting everything 2gether but u do have to notch the block so the rods dont hit the block. Everything i stated was what i was told. I havent built a turbo motor yet just tryna b some help. Heres the link for the bottom end kit

FJ Distributors

·
Registered
94 civic hatch
337 Posts
Why dont you find another d16 and rebuild it? Also try rockauto.com they are on this site aswell. they have cheap prices.

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
being you havent done the work yourself before and plan to, the best thing you can do is do as much research as you can on the assembly/building of a motor, then like everyone else set a power goal and budget, then after that choose what direction you feel you wanna go with your turbo build.

·
Registered
2006 Acura TL 6MT
656 Posts
My boy built a z6 and got a Bottom end kit off fjdistributers.com it came with vitara pistons, rings, i beams and arp rod bolts. He got up to 330hp on the first time he tuned and was expecting over 400hp all said and done but he broke the axles the next day and was a week away from getting deployed so he just sold the engine. But with that said he said it was straight foward putting everything 2gether but u do have to notch the block so the rods dont hit the block. Everything i stated was what i was told. I havent built a turbo motor yet just tryna b some help. Heres the link for the bottom end kit

FJ Distributors
I think you mean notch the girdle, not the block.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts