Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok will this all started yesterday. I think i was just having a bad day.
no sleep fusing at a 3 yr old etc.....

Well yesterday i went to take my girl to work. Hope on the freeway and got into boost all is fine.
Drop out of boost and im just cruising at 60mph. Then the car feels like its slowing down. Wideband reads 16, 17, ---. So i tap the gas and all is fine.
Get ready to pass as car and get to around 1 psi and bam. wb is leaned out "---" bad off and then check engine light pops on, car starts to slow down.

I pull out my pocket scanner, (obd2 android scanner).
And pull the code. bank 1 sensor 1 o2 slow to response. Been getting this code for a while now, and found a crack in my exhaust pre o2 and was planing on welding it up later that day.

Well once the cel was clear the car ran fine. Got into boost a lil to check it out and afr are on point. made it to my girls job and unplugged the o2 so this wouldnt happen on my way back.

Got home welded crack, move o2 up more so it can get a better reading.
Start the car and all was fine. Rev it a little bit cool.

Well went to pick my girl up later that night. Start off driving and all is good. Get on the freeway and about half way there the wideband starts to bounce around alot, 11, 15, 14, 12 etc... Gave it gas and back to normal readings.
Then cruising got into boost for a sec and check engine light pops up. Then wb reads 10:1 wtf.

exit and pull the cel. o2 slow, and map sensor high.
My fic is clamping the map so wtf? Clear the code. un plug the o2.
Drive all the way around town because cops block the ramp to get on the freeway and then there was road work.

Made it to pick up my girl. Go to leave her job and car is leaning out 16:1 while @ 10inhg 3k rpm. wft??

so get drive home all seems ok just ever once in a while i get 16 or 17 afr around 15inhg.

So now here is the kicker. Today i went to look over the car to see what the hell is going on. Did a compression test. Cold motor and got.
1- 170, 120, 140, 4-160 something like that dont remember the number 100% and cant find my paper. So put the o2 back in and started up the car.
Well try to damn battery is dead. Push started it. And it runs and idles. Went around the block and all seems fine, got into boost and feels normal.
Come back motor is warm shut her down and compression test again.

1-185, 140, 155, 170. again something like that. Added some oil and would you know i added to much. fuck...
Any way looks like a hg crack between 2 and 3. Well no mix of oil or coolant, no smoke and runs good, beside that random lean/o2 problem.

Well put all back together and started her up. Smoke..... but rev rev and it started to clear up. Probably that oil i pour in there. (did get a good reading on cly 2 because it jump to like 300psi)

And then i saw some dipping . wft its oil looks like its pouring out the turbo, got damit.
Went for a drive hopping all is fine sine its my only car and girl has to be at work in a few hours.
So once i left my area and got on the freey for a pull the smoke stop. YAYYYYYY.
And all seems fine now. Boost up no problem. AFR on point. Get home and no dipping oil.

now a few people will say its the tune or the aem fic piggyback but i had this lean problem before.
but everytime it happen a code for the sec o2 would pop up. I now have that clamp since the turbo went in.

So anyone have a clue what the hell could be going on? And is something wrong with those to cylinders? I remember i had 180-185 across the board before boosting. But the thing is the car seems to run the same as it did when i first install the turbo. Out of boost and in boost all seems the same.

Thats for reading and rep to all that reply i know it was a lot to read.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Possible head lift? Blown HG? Im trying to justify in my mind, how the blown HG would Lean spike so F'N hard.....

Unless it was acting as an air pump or something, pushing cylinder pressure in between 2-3..... I dunno.. talking out loud here....

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possible head lift? Blown HG? Im trying to justify in my mind, how the blown HG would Lean spike so F'N hard.....

Unless it was acting as an air pump or something, pushing cylinder pressure in between 2-3..... I dunno.. talking out loud here....
Thought head lift too but wasnt under boost when it happen, It was while cruising then i press the gas and it made it to like 2psi (small turbo fast spool.)
Also no coolant loss. Overflow has been at the same level for a week.
I was thinking crack cylinder but the car has always been under half on the gauge. and no coolant loss mix smells like coolant.

I just dont know what lean it out. And it was lean till the cel was clean then all was good again.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Spark plugs? maybe not strong enought to react to air fuel mixture and could be the reason of a/f ratio changing every now and then. IDK, i'm just like the other guy, thinking out loud!

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spark plugs? maybe not strong enought to react to air fuel mixture and could be the reason of a/f ratio changing every now and then. IDK, i'm just like the other guy, thinking out loud!
lol other guy, thinking out loud.
But i may need some spark plug there about 4 months old. And dizzy was new got it about 4months also.

Well took my girl to work and all seems fine. had the ac on because its freaking hot outside and it drove fine had all its normal power. Girl said it sounded and drove alot smoother.

And is it possible to get a false read of compression or is it right for the car to be running fine even tho 2 cylinder show low?

idk its just craziness. Im going to keep an eye on the car and not run it as hard till i know what going on.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
lol other guy, thinking out loud.
But i may need some spark plug there about 4 months old. And dizzy was new got it about 4months also.

Well took my girl to work and all seems fine. had the ac on because its freaking hot outside and it drove fine had all its normal power. Girl said it sounded and drove alot smoother.

And is it possible to get a false read of compression or is it right for the car to be running fine even tho 2 cylinder show low?

idk its just craziness. Im going to keep an eye on the car and not run it as hard till i know what going on.
I'm not sure what a crack head gasket would do to a/f reading if it was related as is a head gasket issue. Maybe fuel, or dirty injectors are not putting out the correct cc, may cause your weird issue. But, like I said, just thinking out loud again:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
do several compression tests over the course of a few days maybe and see if the tests differ one to the other. Check o2, spark plugs and check for vac leaks? HAHA i would say im with the other guys and just thinking out loud but i dont wanna over use that lol.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do.

And fuel filter and injectors are new since 4months ago before the turbo went on. The only thing that is old is the pump which i plan to change but stock ment my goals.

Idk why i didnt post this before but i remember seeing the o2 data on the scanner when i clear the code.

short fuel trim went to -22
o2 volts jump around
WB read "---"
Then i clear the code and everything was find and drove good.
2 the same rpm the short trim was around 2 because ac was on. Its normally -4 or -7

Either way i hope its all done and keep the ideas coming so i can check some stuff.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
check your fuel pressure regulator.

get one off a buddy with a mazda/honda/acura 4 banger, and test it.

worst that can happen with other FPR is pressure change, so keep eye on AFR while testing. some are 20psi, some are 60psi

also see results if vacuum from FPR is removed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts