Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and was wondering if anyone can tell me what this black box is used for? There is no name on the outside or inside of the box. This 93 civic ex was purchased about 10 years ago with some aftermarket parts and a Greddy turbo kit already installed. There is 3 or 4 wires comming out of it and connects to the wires going to the map sensor. I opened it up to see if there was anything inside to help me identify what it was and saw the words Map and boost adapter written on the chip. Does this box work like a missing link check valve or used for something else?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Yeah it's some bullshit piggyback ish unit.

Just chuck it and get a socketed ECU and a dyno tune. Car will make more power, safer, and get better gas mileage. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think its a piggyback, had a vortech fmu on there but I took it off years ago. Yea its duct tape, has a little leak in that hose thingy.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
No it is a piggyback.

It clamps and modifies the MAP sensor signal voltage.

Remove it.

Socketed ECU.

Tune it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So should I leave this box on if I dont plan on doing anything with the car? Is it gonna give me a check engine light if I take it off? I'm only using this car during the winter.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
if the turbo kit is still on, yes.
stock ecu will go int to limp mode if map sees positve pressure.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts