Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I just have in my car the so common I/H/E, its runs isnt really fast but ok
My plan is to add a cam and edel im in near future, there where all problem come in, because i have to tune it. I dont at all get into the ecu of my car, some mught say, take to a tuner, well hell no!!! nobody else beside me works on my car, some other might suggest then tune it yourself (right) things is i dont mess with ecu.
Finally a buddy of mine is selling me an apexi vafc for dirt cheap its even in the box!!
Should i buy it and do tunnig with that? I know this isnt the best tool for tunnig but at least i might tune something!!
btw my car is a 98 civic ex
Thanx in advance

·
Registered
39 Posts
yea dude the vafc are sweet and depending one which one it is you can also control vtec ingagement, another option is a wide band o2, and with that u can plug it into your laptop and do a little more but it is also a bit more expencive than a vafc.

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
vafc is garbage imo, if you go on the whole im the only one who works on my car thing you should go read like a mofo on pgmfi.org then so you can learn how to tune your self or TAKE IT TO A TUNER. you can get chippped ecu's from anywhere from 60-120 bucks and most tuners charge anywhere from 50-200perhour depending on who you go to

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im planning on getting the one that can control vtec crossover.
But will this work on my future setup, im not trying to be the fastest honda n/a around i just want a little more and have it tune right. So why people think that apexi vafc2 is POS?

·
Registered
946 Posts
what do you mean you "don't mess with the ecu" ?

you mean you don't want to modify it, or are scared to mess it up?

You can tune urself without messing with the ecu urself,
send it off to one of those online guys, have them chip/socket it, set it up with a datalogging cable.
then you'll need a wideband o2, an ostrich, and crome(free) running on a laptop.

probably run u around 400bux, not including the laptop.
then you can tune to your hearts content!

That's what i'm doing. i've got a jdm d15b with some wierd parts on it, and i've been street tuning for hours just driving around, doing pulls, adjusting the afr to get it just right. It's really quite fun and i've got the afr curve pretty good so far.

I don't even have datalogging either, which makes it far more easy and accurate.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah both!!!dont want to modify mine and im scare to do it. to chip my ecu i might have to buy one to send it out, all that you write is right but at the same time far more expensive than buying this apexi vafc2 for cheap. Id like to know if is good or not in my car!
Thanx

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
vafcs cannot control timing. only fuel, hint Vtec Air Fuel Controller. get another Ecu send it to me, ill chip it and send it back for 60 bucks. then sell your current ecu. i know thats as cheap as your VAFC junk. then you get an ostrich or burn1 burner from moates, get a wideband(you would need this even with your VAFC to tune properly) and download crome. i would personally spend the 150 bucks to get the Pro version with datalogging and Autotune. then you will be set forever tuning wise. of course there are little things to buy down the road if you ever go turbo or anything, but basically. Vafcs are junk in my book period.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx lsturbohatch10 ill keep in mind your offer, i migntsend a pm later on this week to more about that.
Thanx to all your replies

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx lsturbohatch10 ill keep in mind your offer, i mightsend a pm later on this week to ask more about that. what about obd2? Do i have to convert it to run obd1 in order to usethose tunnig programs?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts