Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have searched and I could use a little help selecting a turbo. I have already bought a cast t3 flanged mani.
Requirements:

1. ac compatible
2. no preference as to waste gate
3. has to be able to be mounted so that exhaust comes out towards the ac compressor.
4. only planning on making 200whp
5. Don't care if its used
6. Less than $300
7. no prefrence as to 4 bolt or 5 bolt exhaust housing...
8. Want it to be streetable (i.e. t70 out of the question)

Let me know what you guys think...

I tried a turbo calculator that suggested a gt25. That costs $850. Greddy runs a modified td04. Would that be a better avenue to take? LMK what your guys opinions are..

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
200 hp?
thunderbird / or svo mustang t3 .48/.60
ac compatible depends on who makes the manifold and downpipe. but a log manifold is most likely what you need with minimal cost and limited space.

the dsm t25 might get you close to 200 and is very easy to work with. dont expect it to hold till redline like the thunderbird turbo

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
want me to walk you though it? damn. pick a used t3 that is out there (aka the ones drunk posted) and then run then through the info posted in the other thread. its really not that hard.

fuck it, never mind.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks man I appreciate it BUT
I gotta select a turbo first
No need to walk me through anything, I am plenty capable of reading. I have to find a turbo, then find a compressor map for it, then determine whether or not its gonna work for me... Appreciate the help though :TU:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
Crazy idea:
Could I get a t3 exhaust housing on one of these?
http://www.turbochargers.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_30&products_id=423

Don't massacre me if this is a dumb idea! Just trying to be creative, I know I have heard of frankensteins before.

Can someone with knowledge on volvo's help me dechiper this thread?
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?showtopic=19440

I'm sure you could change the housing, but an adapter from someone like BMC seems more practical (or just buying a turbo with a T3 flange):

http://www.bmcrace.com

The other turbo you might want to consider, is a little smaller than the Ford T3, and that is the .42/.48 T3 used on Saabs and some other stuff.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ yeah I have an adaptor but the popular thought process on the dsm forums is that those things leak really bad...

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
^ yeah I have an adaptor but the popular thought process on the dsm forums is that those things leak really bad...

OK... I've never dealt with one, but that's believable.

The Volvo guys are trying to put together an upgraded turbo to fit some proprietry flange using a 16g wheel in a properly flanged and modified 12b housing.

Seems to me like you would be best off just getting a T3 flanged turbo.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
If your goals are only 200 whp then pick up a T3 .42 / .48 off a Saab or volvo (can't remember which one this turbo was on). I've bought two since I entered the scene and found both for under $100 shipped with no shaft play.

Btw I wouldn't go around assuming that your cast mani is a/c compatible unless you know it to be an ABSOLUTE FACT. Many people have bought cast mani's off of ebay that were "a/c compatible" that weren't.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^ yeah it depends on turbo and the way the dp is routed... No mani is totally ac compatible it depends on other factors as well...

Hence why I am going through so much trouble to make sure I get the right turbo

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
^ yeah it depends on turbo and the way the dp is routed... No mani is totally ac compatible it depends on other factors as well...

Hence why I am going through so much trouble to make sure I get the right turbo
talk to Greg from autoworks once you find the turbo that you want.
he can mock up pretty much the same turbo and fab up a manifold and downpipe according to your application.
charge / intercooler piping are pretty easy to do yourself with some 180 bends.
but it helps to know what turbo that youre using.
theres plenty of options with your power goals, it just depends on when you want your turbo to start spooling.

a quick spooling turbo like the t25 or greddy 15g will fall on its face on the upper rpms.

medium spoolers like the tdo5 14b or t3 .48/.42 will do nicely for midrange

and topend spoolers like the 16g, t3 .48/.60 , t3 .63/.60 , etc will pull more aggressively near and past stock redline.

and thats another thing, if you do plan on going with the fast spooler. greddy does make a 15g kit with the manifold thats ac and power steering compatible.
its a real nice starter kit that you can always improve on a few things like engine management, downpipe, injectors.
look around because people sell their kits used allot making a nice cheap little kit

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have seen them for as low as $1000, but always prefer to do it myself... Yeah I have already contacted autoworks but i did it about the greddy dp...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
1 - 16 of 16 Posts