Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying two used engines with blow-by, I finally gave in and decided to rebuild my stock D16Y7 engine with a spun rod bearing. My first replacement engine had low compression on one cylinder and my current one has low compression on two cylinders, plus it DRINKs motor oil! I’m really hurting for cash, but considering how much oil this engine drinks, it might just be more cost effective to rebuild my stock engine. Plus since both of my extra engines still run I’m hoping I can sell the running blocks for $200 to help offset the cost of this rebuild. I don’t really have any experience rebuilding an engine, so I figured I’d post what I’m planning to do and see if I can get any input from you guys.

Let’s start of with my goals for this engine; to hold up to 200-220hp with my Greddy 15g turbo kit and to simply not burn oil. Oh and I'm planning on sticking with my D16Y7 block because when I smogged my car a few weeks ago I had issues with smog guys refusing to smog my D16A6 engine since my car came with a D16Y7.

I realize I’m going to need some machine work done, so I’ll drop my block off at the machine shop in the next few days to have the crank and cylinder walls checked out. Considering that the block has 176,000 miles, I’ll probably have it punched out to 75.5mm. Where do you guys buy your OEM oversized pistons/rings at? Dealership, FJ Distributors?

Since I spun a rod bearing I realize that I need to replace a rod. I'm undecided between picking up another stock D16Y7 rod or should I spend the $110 to have Crower machine my set of LS rods for $110. I’m planning on sticking with my greddy turbo kit and stock pistons. So would you just replace the bad rod or throw the LS rods in for a little extra strength?

And finally where’s a cheap place to pick bearings up from?

Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
you will probably want a new crankshaft if you spun a bearing. check the journal of the spun bearing to see if it is within tolerances, or if the surface is messd up.
d-series King or ACL bearings can be found on ebay fro cheap.

·
Registered
Civic
36 Posts
you will probably want a new crankshaft if you spun a bearing. check the journal of the spun bearing to see if it is within tolerances, or if the surface is messd up.
d-series King or ACL bearings can be found on ebay fro cheap.
when my Z6 spun a rod bearing the crank was done, you should deffinatly check. as for your rods they should be good up to 200 hp but if I were in your shoes I would go LS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts