Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1994 4dr eg
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this z6 head off a guy a while back and decided Ill go ahead and do a valve job on it. I had my friends dad, who is a Platinum Honda ASE Certified Tech. He has a shop at home with everything including a set of New Way Valve seat cutters. We cut the face of the valves and got them nice and even. Cut the seats on the head in the order of 60* deg, 30* deg, and 45*deg. I lapped the valves to insure a tighter fit. Once completed I put the springs,retainers, and keepers back on. Then used Perussian blue to blue dye test it. Seems like there is a section of about 1/16 on every valve where it's not seating properly. Went ahead and put water on top of the valves(in the cumbustion chamber) and used a air gun to blow air to the face of the valves through the intake or exhaust runners(ports). I got lucky on one or two valves were barely any bubbles come out. But on a majority of the valves it bubbles like a little kid blowing into the straw of a glass of choco milk. I took everything back apart and recut them again and dye tested them again and still having a section about 1/16 of an inch not seating properly. I'm really stumped and so is my mentor, for lack of better word. I'd really rather not give the machine shop another $160 after just paying them a little over $400.

Any input is greatly appreciated. This has been a 4 month build on my mini-me project and I'm anxious to get it running. I start in 4 days delivering sandwiches for a local Jimmy Johns. I have another car to use but would like to be driving mine soon. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
114 Posts
you just might have to bite the bullet and get a shop to do it...hate to see it get fubr....check if any are bent...

·
Registered
1994 4dr eg
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. All the valves but 1 are straight. That valve is slightly slightly slightly bent towards the top where it hopefully won't matter too much cause its away from the seal and the guides. I honestly can't figure it out man..I cried myself to sleep last night. I've been ready to drop it back in the car but these valves are throwing me for a loop. They have been cut twice in the past few two days and just won't seat. Please help!

·
Registered
1994 4dr eg
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Valves are all on the right side..I even kept them all matched up after lapping them and taking them back out to insure that they were lapped specifically to each seat.

Thanks for the Link. It wasn't good reading though....It was GREAT reading! hahaha..Thanks man and yes he has done several Honda heads..That's why he is so confused too.

·
Registered
1994 4dr eg
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have actually never taken a micrometer to them. They look good and cleaned up. Little carb build up on exhaust valves but go figure..

·
Registered
2006 Acura TL 6MT
656 Posts
You could have cut/lapped them too much... at least at this point that's all I can think of. I've heard lapping is generally a bad idea these days, there are more effective/precise ways of doing things now...

Valves are cheap enough, if your putting all this work into it maybe a new set of valves are in order...

·
Registered
1994 4dr eg
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to a vocational school last year for automotive and so I'm gonna go back there in about an hour to meet with my teacher and use their machines to do the valve job..just so everything will be very precise. if that doesnt do it. then Im just buying new valves or buying a new head as well because im not sure how much you can keep cutting on these heads...

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
any decent shop will only use lapping compound to grip shit with a puller

a good shop would never use lapping compound after a valve job.

·
Registered
1994 4dr eg
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went ahead and said screw it....Dropped my head off at a well-known machine shop in the area. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully they can them to seal properly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts