Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Honda Civic Dx
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 1990 civic hatch d15b2 manuel tranny.
blew the head gasket, so im replacing the gaskets thermostat water pump timing belt and tensioner.

i need torque specs! and some words of wisdom on how to replace the timing belt......dont want to fuck anything up!

the head is clean and crack free, and true. took it to my trusted machinist and he said i got lucky and only blew the gasket.

i can only rellay find DIY guides for the d16..please help!

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
Be sure that when you clean the mating surface on the block not to use a wire brush, and if you use a razor blade don't gouge it. Any deep scratches can cause a leak in the head gasket. Don't use a permatorque headgasket, use the Honda MLS headgasket. Since you already have all that stuff off you should consider replacing the water pump. Don't use any sealant, it comes with a perfectly awesome o-ring gasket. Replace the timing belt. If you can spin the timing tensioner like a wheel on a roller skate, replace it too. I'm not saying you are made of money. I'm just saying since you already have it off, you should borrow some and do it right. If you do it right the first time you shouldn't have to do it for a long while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts