Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
99 Honda Civic EX
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys heres the situation. My car was running fine yesterday until I hit a piece of concrete that I couldn't avoid in the road. Now my car won't start. Specifics being that it will ding that the key is in but when you turn it to the on position it dies of and has nearly no power, ie. the normal engine lights/seatbelt and others are dim. I am thinking that I have a grounding issue somewhere as after disconnecting the battery terminals and replacing what I thought was the problem, the ignition switch, I went to reconnect the terminals and had zero spark. By spark I mean that little spark you see when you first put your positive battery terminal on. Can anyone give me relative insight into where a possible ground fault might be on the front left quarter of my car. I've already checked the obvious head and transmission grounds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
battery could have been brand new the day you hit that concrete. The shock of an impact is enough to damage most batteries.

Get your battery charged up and load test it at a local partsstore or battery mart

·
Registered
99 Honda Civic EX
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
battery could have been brand new the day you hit that concrete. The shock of an impact is enough to damage most batteries.

Get your battery charged up and load test it at a local partsstore or battery mart
I had it tested this morning. Then started hunting for other possible damage.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Double check battery terminals.

Grab a light and check alternator main wire, make sure it wasnt loose for some reason and touching its case (ground)

verify starter wire is tight. if loose, it will overdraw on amperage.

check all underhood fuses. if only PARTIALLY blown, you will get a severe voltage drop on lights

Even with a tested battery, attempt to start while another car or truck battery is hooked up with jumpers.

Lots of weird shit goes wonky with impacts

·
Registered
99 Honda Civic EX
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Double check battery terminals.

Grab a light and check alternator main wire, make sure it wasnt loose for some reason and touching its case (ground)
I will check this this evening.

verify starter wire is tight. if loose, it will overdraw on amperage.

check all underhood fuses. if only PARTIALLY blown, you will get a severe voltage drop on lights
Checked all fuses and the starter. The main battery, 80amp, looked slightly corroded. Replaced it.

Even with a tested battery, attempt to start while another car or truck battery is hooked up with jumpers
I've tried to start it with 2 different cars to no avail.
Lots of weird shit goes wonky with impacts
Thanks for the help. Rep'd

·
Registered
99 Honda Civic EX
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, checked the alternator. All wires are golden and all of the nuts are tight. Anyone know where another hot wire may be that could've come loose? I've checked the alternator and starter. Also, I've checked the grounds throughout and haven't found any problems. Anyone have any ideas. My dashboard looks like I'm having a brownout leading me to believe that I have a a grounded power someplace. I have a fully charged battery and everything works until I turn the key.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Mighta mentioned it somewhere, but Im missing it. Is this car an automatic or a manual?

If manual, I want you to get all twisty toasty on your car seat and check the clutch switch. Unplug it and use a piece of speaker wire or a paperclip to bridge connection, and attempt a start.

If automatic, you should jack up the vehicle, toss it on a jackstand or two, and look and see if the shifter cables were damaged at all.

·
Registered
99 Honda Civic EX
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mighta mentioned it somewhere, but Im missing it. Is this car an automatic or a manual?
It's a manual.

If manual, I want you to get all twisty toasty on your car seat and check the clutch switch. Unplug it and use a piece of speaker wire or a paperclip to bridge connection, and attempt a start.

If automatic, you should jack up the vehicle, toss it on a jackstand or two, and look and see if the shifter cables were damaged at all.
I've already jumped the neutral safety switch. I did that before it was my car. lol

·
Registered
99 Honda Civic EX
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You may have said it but I'm too lazy to read through this... What is the alternator output voltage at the battery?
I'll have it home in the garage today. Having it towed from it's resting place. I'll check this as soon as it arrives.
Wouldn't the car need to be running in order to check the alternator output?

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
361 Posts
I'll have it home in the garage today. Having it towed from it's resting place. I'll check this as soon as it arrives.
Wouldn't the car need to be running in order to check the alternator output?
Yes, it would. I read were you said the battery is good, cables are good, grounds that you see are good, and I was assuming you measured battery voltage. If you didn't then nevermind.

·
Registered
99 Honda Civic EX
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Battery voltage without anything is 12.78 v. With the key in the acc position and the on position it is the same. I'm now thinking that maybe a relay could've popped when I bounced. Other than that I'm stumped.

·
Registered
99 Honda Civic EX
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does the engine crank over at all? Or is this crank, no start?
I get absolutely nothing when I turn the key. It's like I'm throwing a power switch and turning everything off. Even the door ding stops when I put it in the on position.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts