Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
straight to the point:
i baught a 2000 ex civic 5spd stock y8 long block, the bastard at the car lot sold me a bad short block. i drove it to work one morning heading to work 5:30am stores are closed, had low oil took about 2qts of oil to read good on the dipstick but by that time i was already hearing clicking, work 15 miles from home no ride no tow, by the time i drove the car the clicking became knocks. couldnt really tell that i was losing oil because there was no spill ever the oil would just drip on the catylitic converter and would burn away. i dont know where to start no ones selling short blocks on craigslist, dont really have any money so to save on cash im wanting to do it myself, but where should i start , or how much would this cost me, i have little knowledge on blocks so im hoping to find a diy sheet. where should i start looking for when i end up getting into taking the engine apart? im hoping itl be easy as going to a junk yard buying the block then taking it to a machine shop and have them do the test runs and compresion checks, then just slapping in on the civic. (if its that easy) this website looks like the closest place to look for answer being that this site is all about d series tuning and modding, thanks !
i really dont know where to look at

·
Registered
too many
1,582 Posts
Assembling a block is easy.
At estimate to have a block honed the crank polished and the block and head checked and skimmed your around $500
Bearings about $150 Rings $75
Gasket set $150

So all in all you can have a rebuilt motor for $875 Plus your labor to assemble.
The problem you may have is tools. $$$
But you would have 0 miles on your engine

If your not looking to spend that much get a $400 junkyard motor with warranty http://car-part.com

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
I didn't read the thread, but, you should put a title that applies to the questions you have. Help me!!!!!! is not very descriptive

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
If your not looking to spend that much get a $400 junkyard motor with warranty Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Agreed, the cheapest/quickest way out is to just buy a new motor and swap it in.

When you call different yard make sure to ask them about mileage, where the car was hit, was it ever on fire, has there been a leak down or compression test done, and if the motor will turn over under battery power now.

I didn't read the thread, but, you should put a title that applies to the questions you have. Help me!!!!!! is not very descriptive
Agreed 100%

1 - 7 of 7 Posts