Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Honda Civic DX
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help reading and understanding what my spark plugs are telling me. First here is my set up-

rebuilt d15b2 block, 75mm pm3 pistons and stock rods
ARP head studs
oem y8 head gasket
stock y8 head
AEM cam gear
Go Autoworks mini ram manifold
38mm wastegate
ebay t3/t4 44 trim turbo
2.5" downpipe
open exhaust
2.25" hot/2.5" cold charge pipes
ebay 28x3x6" intercooler
RFL bov
56mm throttle body
ported Blox intake manifold
dsm 450cc injectors
ngk wires
ngk bkr7e plugs @ .022"
Innovate LC1
chipped ps9 ecu
w/b tuned with BRE

My engine has a 11:1 compression ratio but once you factor in the elevation where I live the compression drops to around 10:1. Currently I am running 16* degrees of mechanical timing. I am pushing only 6.52 psi. I have the total timing set at 3.8* in BRE at 6.52 psi. I run a low 14:1 a/f ratio during cruising and 11.7-11.8:1 a/f ratio in boost.

The #2 - #4 spark plugs look great. Take a look....

Now the number #1 plug is a different story...

I have swapped plugs and swapped injectors. No matter what the #1 plug always looks like this. I want to turn up the boost but I want the #1 plug to look like the rest.

I currently run the oem fuel pressure regulator and stock fuel pump. I looked at this plug with a magnifying glass and it appears that those are ash deposits. I did not see any aluminum specs on the plugs.

According to the NGK and Bosch spark plug diagrams it looks like this #1 plug could be misfiring but I am not convinced. What do you think is causing the problem? Any insight is much appreciated!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,432 Posts
Sorry I didn't make it to the shop to talk with Blundell, but I wonder if oil past the valve guides or rings on #1 would cause that?

·
Registered
1988 Honda Civic DX
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they look like theyve been run a little lean
I run 11.7 - 11.8 a/f ratio. I did a few WOT passes then drove like normal for a few miles before pulling the plugs.

Sorry I didn't make it to the shop to talk with Blundell, but I wonder if oil past the valve guides or rings on #1 would cause that?
Perhaps. This motor has a junk yard y8 head and a bottom end that I cleaned the pistons, honed the cylinders and installed new rings/bearings into. Compression in this cylinder checked in at 175 psi when I last checked it. I probably have 5,000 miles on this engine so far.

I plan to check the compression this weekend and do a leak down test if I can find a leak down tester locally.

Thanks for responding!

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
gl finding the cause, i suspect oil w/ some additives getting into that cylinder as well.

how did u get neg rep man???

someone rep this man stat, hes a good dude!

·
Registered
224 Posts
gl finding the cause, i suspect oil w/ some additives getting into that cylinder as well.

how did u get neg rep man???

someone rep this man stat, hes a good dude!
My guess as well. Some old timer out there that's seen it all would know right off the bat, I'm sure!

·
Registered
1988 Honda Civic DX
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the positive comment Dan! I received negative rep for not reading the rules on posting for sale ads back in 2006. People wanted me banned. I don't post here much because of that.

Anyway, I run water for coolant so I am suspecting that oil is getting into the #1 cylinder. I am going to test the compression tomorrow. If all looks good then I will try some ngk 8s.

Thanks James for chiming in! I was hoping that you or Luke would share your thoughts. My Dad is one of those old timers but he has some really crazy off the wall ideas lol

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
#1 looks like detonation. But it doesn't make sense on only #1.

Next guess would be the valve seat is coming apart. Can you do a compression test ?

Another idea, call NGK and get the guy in tech supports email and send the picture to him.

I'm checking there site now looking for pictures.

Technical Support
hours: 8:30am - 5:00pm Monday-Friday EST
tel: 1-877-473-6767 prompt #2
Contact Tech Support

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp?kw=Pre-ignition&mfid=2

Not much help either.

·
Registered
1988 Honda Civic DX
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
#1 looks like detonation. But it doesn't make sense on only #1.

Next guess would be the valve seat is coming apart. Can you do a compression test ?

Another idea, call NGK and get the guy in tech supports email and send the picture to him.

I'm checking there site now looking for pictures.

Technical Support
hours: 8:30am - 5:00pm Monday-Friday EST
tel: 1-877-473-6767 prompt #2
Contact Tech Support

Technical spark plug information: sparkplug charts, cross reference, iridium and platinum information

Not much help either.
I am going to do a compression test tomorrow. I am going to try some ngk 8s tomorrow as well. I'll post the pics of the plugs after I do some pulls. I will also give ngk a call. Thanks for all of your help! I appreciate it :bigok:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts