Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here is the deal. I have a '96 DX w/ a D16Y7 in it. I just purchased a '99 EX VTEC head. I'm going to have the ported and polished and have a crower stage 2 cam installed. I'll be using a '99 EX ECU(chrome maybe?) and Engine harness. I want a nice daily driver that has quite some pep.

I'm figuring this as a run down:

- VTEC head that is ported/polished, new valves, retainers, springs, crower stg 2, and cam gear of some sort.
- Stock D16Y7 block w/ moroso oil pan
- Tial 38mm WG w/ Tial BOV
- PFab Log Style Mani
- T3/T4 Turbo(which one?)
- Good sized intercooler
- 2.5" Piping
- Edelbrock or Blox Intake Mani w/ 66mm TB

Does this sound like a good setup?

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
OK here is the deal. I have a '96 DX w/ a D16Y7 in it. I just purchased a '99 EX VTEC head. I'm going to have the ported and polished and have a crower stage 2 cam installed. I'll be using a '99 EX ECU(chrome maybe?) and Engine harness. I want a nice daily driver that has quite some pep.

I'm figuring this as a run down:

- VTEC head that is ported/polished, new valves, retainers, springs, crower stg 2, and cam gear of some sort.
- Stock D16Y7 block w/ moroso oil pan
- Tial 38mm WG w/ Tial BOV
- PFab Log Style Mani
- T3/T4 Turbo(which one?)
- Good sized intercooler
- 2.5" Piping
- Edelbrock or Blox Intake Mani w/ 66mm TB

Does this sound like a good setup?
i think you will need to convert to obd1 to run crome. Not sure though, someone will probably verify that and call me a dumbass for posting false info............

The turbo will depend on how much power you plan to make, and by the looks of what you posted as your setup, you wont be making over 200whp. Also, the intercooler doesnt have to be decent size!!! you can get away with a core of about 20" x 2" x 5-6", which is fairley small.

You just need to figure out exactly what you want to gain from your build, like hp goals, and everyone here will be able to answer your questions with more detailed and better info.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
+1 for what was posted above...

that turbo/mani set-up is going to be a waste on a stock block; so i'd suggest skipping on the new IM and saving for internals...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Actually, you don't have to convert to OBDI to use CROME. Its just preferred to be OBDI so you can put everything in p28 code.

And I'd suggest a Walbro 255 fuel pump ($95) and some injectors (~$200). And since you're not looking for too much power a t3/t4 might be over kill. Go with a smaller turbo and you'll probably be happier.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm figuring around 180-200whp. If I can get that I'd be super happy, but I'm thinking for that I'm going to need to get internals?

Ok I'll just use the y8 intake mani with y8 TB. Also, thanks for the tip on the Walbro and injectors.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Well I'm figuring around 180-200whp. If I can get that I'd be super happy, but I'm thinking for that I'm going to need to get internals?

Ok I'll just use the y8 intake mani with y8 TB. Also, thanks for the tip on the Walbro and injectors.

you wont need to buy internals for your goal of 180-200whp. You will just need a really good tune so your motor and stock internals will last.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I've been reading the SOHC Turbo thread over on H-T. There are a few guys making more power than me that have completely stock internals and 1 guy I saw even had a completely stock head.

I'm thinking just put the y8 head on with a blox IM and b16 tb, switch to a ex/si hydro tranny, new clutch flywheel, and then spend the rest of the money I have on a turbo setup.

t3/t04e sound like an alright turbo? I figured for fuel do the Walbro(like mentioned) with a Mr Gasket fuel rail housing DSM 450s. That should work.

Let me know.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Well I've been reading the SOHC Turbo thread over on H-T. There are a few guys making more power than me that have completely stock internals and 1 guy I saw even had a completely stock head.

I'm thinking just put the y8 head on with a blox IM and b16 tb, switch to a ex/si hydro tranny, new clutch flywheel, and then spend the rest of the money I have on a turbo setup.

t3/t04e sound like an alright turbo? I figured for fuel do the Walbro(like mentioned) with a Mr Gasket fuel rail housing DSM 450s. That should work.

Let me know.
Also, would a block guard be something I should look into for the time being?
You do not need to upgrade your head at all for the power you pan on making. Nor do you need to upgrade you intake manifold or throttle body (maybe get a 60mm from a b series). There are people making 400+whp on totally stock heads.

Yes, you can make over 200whp with stock block and internals, but i would not reccommend it unless you know a tuner that freakin awsome. It has been proven that the threshold of the d-series rods is right at about 200whp, give or take depending on the condition of the motor. You could prolly get away with 220whp for a while on a really good tune. So just shoot for 200whp, save your money on the IM and throttle body.

No you do not need a block guard. Block guards ar known to reate hotspots and causing catastrophic engine failure because of them. If you are looking for any type of reinforcement at all, look inot block posts, which are cheaper and safer if installed properly.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts

Let me know.
Also, would a block guard be something I should look into for the time being?
You do not need to upgrade your head at all for the power you pan on making. Nor do you need to upgrade you intake manifold or throttle body (maybe get a 60mm from a b series). There are people making 400+whp on totally stock heads.

Yes, you can make over 200whp with stock block and internals, but i would not reccommend it unless you know a tuner that freakin awsome. It has been proven that the threshold of the d-series rods is right at about 200whp, give or take depending on the condition of the motor. You could prolly get away with 220whp for a while on a really good tune. So just shoot for 200whp, save your money on the IM and throttle body.

No you do not need a block guard. Block guards ar known to reate hotspots and causing catastrophic engine failure because of them. If you are looking for any type of reinforcement at all, look inot block posts, which are cheaper and safer if installed properly.

Also, you will not need a different fuel rail.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alright cool. Well then that saves a bunch of money. I'll just use the y8 head I got and get a y8 mani(never came with one when I bought the head). I'll just spend money on the Walbro and 450 DSMs and save little bits here and there and should have it done here in about a month.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
alright cool. Well then that saves a bunch of money. I'll just use the y8 head I got and get a y8 mani(never came with one when I bought the head). I'll just spend money on the Walbro and 450 DSMs and save little bits here and there and should have it done here in about a month.
well there ya go, sounds like a good plan to me. I would look into an obd1 conversion harness and a p28 so you can run crome though. Just make sure you know a good tuner or get one lined up before you start your build.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I can tune myself(I think). I've done a little tuning with Hondata and didn't have any problems. I know there are quite a few Hondata tuners around here and they could probably tune the Chrome.

Yea I've been looking into picking up a P28 w/ conversion harness.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts