Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three problems I need to work out after I finished my stock rebuild on my D16Y8. Rebuild consisted of a re-ring kit, all new bearings, honed cylinders, lapped the valves, and all new tune-up related parts. First problem is my car idles really low after it gets warm and usually wants to die. I thought about messing with the idle adjustment screw, but why would it be different from before? It seems that there must be a bigger problem. Second, it takes a little longer than normal to start the car when cold. It's like it doesn't have the fuel readily available and takes a few seconds to get it where it needs to be. Last, and most importantly I have a noise coming from the t-belt cover. The best way to describe it is a "whir-whir-whir" noise. It almost sounds like something rubbing on the cover, but I took the cover loose and had no change. It is also quiet when the engine is first started up, then after a minute or so it starts. I also noticed antifreeze coming from the cover. My guess is I have a bad water pump (I may be the lucky one to get a bad new pump.) Will the pulley bearing make this sort of noise when bad? Or maybe the noise is something else and I just have a leak around water pump seal? What do you think?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, i forgot to mention, the timing has not been accurately set and I have a bad knock sensor. Both of these things will be fixed shortly. Other than these problems the car runs great, sounds great, and has plenty of power. Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have three problems I need to work out after I finished my stock rebuild on my D16Y8. Rebuild consisted of a re-ring kit, all new bearings, honed cylinders, lapped the valves, and all new tune-up related parts. First problem is my car idles really low after it gets warm and usually wants to die. I thought about messing with the idle adjustment screw, but why would it be different from before? It seems that there must be a bigger problem. Second, it takes a little longer than normal to start the car when cold. It's like it doesn't have the fuel readily available and takes a few seconds to get it where it needs to be. Last, and most importantly I have a noise coming from the t-belt cover. The best way to describe it is a "whir-whir-whir" noise. It almost sounds like something rubbing on the cover, but I took the cover loose and had no change. It is also quiet when the engine is first started up, then after a minute or so it starts. I also noticed antifreeze coming from the cover. My guess is I have a bad water pump (I may be the lucky one to get a bad new pump.) Will the pulley bearing make this sort of noise when bad? Or maybe the noise is something else and I just have a leak around water pump seal? What do you think?

I would check the seal.. take it of an put some liquid gasket on it. the time always made that noise on my car.. it actualy got louder when i took the cover off.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
The idle problem, is probably not a problem... You replaced alot of key parts that'll help it run smoother. Adjust the screw and let us know the result.

The "supercharger" noise just might be the pump bearing or tensioner. Replace those other items you mentioned and then try another pump. If that's not it, then it's probably the tensioner.

·
Registered
Many cars
257 Posts
You could have overtightend the timing belt, drastically shortening the life of the water pump seal causing a leak. That would also explain the whirring noise you hear coming from the timing belt. Also the hard start and low idle could be related to the cam timing(belt being a tooth or so off). Check to make sure its right when you put a new water pump on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts