Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so ever since I've been driving it, there's like major clunkage EVERY TIME I hit the tiniest imperfection in the road.

Cracks, tar, manholes little stuff.

Big bumps? Dips? Going round corners? Nope. Potholes? Nope.

But every minor thing u can barely see.

Changed lower ball joint, and they said don't bother changing bushings on LCA they are OK, not brilliant but fine (had parts off,took em in)

New axles, new manual rack, new shocks and springs, still clunked

Verified compliance bushing torque and condition still clunks

New UCA and lo and behold it had a broken ball joint (which was a new issue) still clunks.

Drove that 130 miles and now

Busted tie rod end.

Now I don't recall it looking bad any of the 5 times it's been apart lately, and the alignment guy didn't say it was bad

Tire is wearing on inside edge oddly and I've yet to correct the caster issue on that side but it was driven w that caster issue for years so I see that as a separate issue.

Now was this tie rod noisy all the time and just not visibly broken yet or is this a symptom of a different problem. Don't remember the upper all joint being garbage when I bolted in the new dampers and springs so it seems like stuff just keeps breaking?

Can't find any places it's obvious metal is hitting metal, no obvious scuffs or clues of any kind. Put 6foot bar under wheel and I can't get it to clunk working it around.

Have some play in the hub but no more than silent other side, no bearing noise, drives way better than before work but still clunks.

Sounds like it's coming from compliance bushing area when your driving, passenger foot well area.

Time to take it to a pro? I don't know.

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nah no depowered stupidness, proper swap. Both upper and lower ball joints are new, ordered OEM tie rod end today that's the last ball joint left right?

I'm gonna try that brake thing, I really don't think the tie rod end is gonna fix anything

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
when you did struts and springs, did they come with new upper spring mounts with the 2 studs for mounting to strut tower top?

the doughnut bushings are likely shot

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I'll put it on the list to check, the front has to come out to get put in the lower ride height position when I install the back anyway. I can check and or replace then, in the meantime I'm gonna fix this tie rod end today and deliver this y8 shortblock I sold this morning. I've just been waiting to do the back til I find the clunk....ironic

So do I just need a cheap strut mounting kit like this kyb item at parts geek to replace that if it looks gnarly?

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/MC/6000-07130032.html?utm_content=MC&utm_term=1988-2000+Honda+Civic+Strut+Mounting+Kit+KYB+Front+88-00+Honda+Strut+Mounting+Kit+1999+1997&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=CjwKEAjw-r27BRCzsNyzrMrM-j0SJACp2TiBeLUKZY0j1f5f5LQXA27CiHwqk4f19eVF5KAjkkRIchoC2w_w_wcB&ad=47433967692

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like a worn out caliper pins/sliders to me. When it starts doing the noise again, slightly press the brake pedal. If the clunking goes away - there is your problem.
I'm having a similar issue as the op, thanks for this idea maybe it will solve my issue.

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Caliper pins for the win. Dragging the brake even slightly stopped it cold! Rep for you sir

Edit: i can't seem to rep (or I might just be dumb) but someone cool here give dude some dap he effing nailed it from a description alone

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Rep for LAMER and for you sir. glad you got it figured out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts