Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently had the option to take over my brothers turbo set up. I am very un-educated in SOHC turbo set ups since i was planning on doing a H turbo or B serries. So dealing with lag wasnt as big of a issue as it is now. anyways, heres the deal, my power goal is to drive the car regularly on 375-400hp. if it comes down to it 325-350 would surfice but i really want a little more than that. the car will not be daily driven but i would still like to be able to enoy daily driving the car if needed and not having to deal with tons of lag.

The big issue i'm having is what turbo to run. I've been told the t3/t04e and the gt30/3071R would be good for the application. Right off the bat i'd like to go with the gt30 being that its a BB turbo, but thats the reason for the post. If anybody can help me with the charictoristics of both turbos on the listed set up i would really appriciate it.

the new manifold that will be used will be a Full Race prostreet without A/C if that helps...

specs on the motor and current turbo being ran

99 d16y8 engine race prepped from RS Machine
darton sleeves
arias 9-1 pistons
all ARP fasteners
eagle rods
step deck block
micro-polished crank w/gsr bearings
-t25 turbo
-maxrev intercooler
-maxrev log style manifold
-walbro 255 in tank pump
-venom fpr
-greddy turbo timer
-greddy oil adapter for the block
-black wrinkle coat intercooler piping
-blitz dd blow off valve
-rc injectors--750's

·
The H Badge is it!
5,657 Posts
the t25 thats being used now wont make more than 250hp, those 750cc injectors are overkill, and it is impossible to make 350+ on a d without lag.

honestly imho a 350whp power goal daily driven is a number a bseries should only see....

reason being is that the stock sleeves are very weak. a damn good tune has to be had. also, getting more than 300hp is a task on a sohc motor. and lastly, 300hp on a sohc motor is a little unrealistic for a daily driver.. again this is my opinion.

but if you really want to... i'd say the t3/to4e would probably be your best bet

·
Registered
314 Posts
9:1 compression is modest given the sleeves and rods, you could bump that up a little, if you wish. A garrett super60 trim would get you somewhere, same with the t04e, which is a little bit bigger. Your gonna lag, whether you like it or not, lots of rpms are gonna be needed. 450-550cc injectors will be enough.

granted horsepower will get you somewhere, but theres a drop off. if you've seen any of turboed's videos, he can beat vipers from a roll, but from a stop, even an sti will stomp on him, because of lag.

·
Registered
330 Posts
daily driven Dser with 350 is gonna b a task and reguardlesss you are going to have lag bro.....loose some to gain some

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if its sleeved id be going with something large. the gt30 would be sweet.
i was skeptical of the ball bearing hype myself, until i bought a gt35r. let me tell you. you havent felt a turbo hit until youve spooled one of these up.

a good t3/t4 is 650-700 so why not just dumpa grand. if your motor is built you seem like you could afford the extra 3 hundo.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you want to have a daily driver thats capable of over 300 hp, then I would look into multiple boost settings. Lag will be inevitable. What sort of fuel management do you plan on running?

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
ccfab said:
if its sleeved id be going with something large. the gt30 would be sweet.
i was skeptical of the ball bearing hype myself, until i bought a gt35r. let me tell you. you havent felt a turbo hit until youve spooled one of these up.

a good t3/t4 is 650-700 so why not just dumpa grand. if your motor is built you seem like you could afford the extra 3 hundo.

i completely agree with this

·
Formally known as SPONSOREDCRX
3,566 Posts
well since were on the topic of turbo, what type could i run on a stock A6.

·
3,566 Posts
which will give me the most power with the least amount of lag

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies guys.

fist off, I know i'm going to have lag i'm just looking for the turbo that will meet my power goals with the least ammount of lag. Like i said, the car WILL NOT be daily driven, but i will still like to be able to have fun with it on the street. I plan on building the head after i pick out the right turbo set up to allow me to rev higher and stay in full boost longer, so that will help as well.

From my research people with the gt35r dont hit full boost till arround 5700-6k so i'm going to assume that with the gt30r i should hit full boost arround 5k. correct me if i'm wrong if you've had experience with this turbo on a similar set up.

The injectors are already on the car. I rather have a little overkill than not enough to meet my goals.

The pistons are already in the car as well, so i'm not going to swap them out for a higher CR. although if i had to do over again i would of done some 9.5:1 pistons.

For engine managment I will be using neptune.

·
3,566 Posts
SPONSOREDCRX said:
which will give me the most power with the least amount of lag
any sug?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If your using neptune then just program it for the anti lag feture and then do gear baised tunning after that. Lag problem solved/traction problem solved.
I use a T3/T4b CBB 56CW/48EW here in CO SPG the alt means that to make over 400ish that a healthy dose of nitrous is needed. But at sea level you won't have as much of a problem making big #. I have not dynoed mine yet but with a street tune my street boost is set @ 14psi, and full boost comes in at about 4600-4800ish. Depending on temp.

Good luck
Blk95ex

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats for the responce. Do you mean .56 copressor side and .48ar? or did i read that wrong?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts