Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, here is my delema. I'm getting rdy to turbo my z6 and I just want some opinions on which way I should go. Option #1 Buy the greddy turbo kit for 92-95 civic ex/si then buy a FMIC, and Type s BOV for roughly 1900 and have new parts and a semi respectiable kit, or go homemade- t3 turbo, some kind of manifold with DSM injectors, vafc and custom downpipe and the greddy type s bov.

I am steering towards the greddy kit becuase it is new parts etc. but hte only thing I dont like about it is that the turbo is internaly wastegated. I have heard ppl say a turbo with an internal wastegate isnt as great as one with an external wastegate, but hte cost is cheaper which is what i'm looking for.

HELP! :?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tight Budget= Homemade Turbo

Just my $0.02

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have enpugh for the greddy kit and bov just not an intercooler yet but its not like I have to have it right away bt I would still wait until I have one before I put the greddy kit on, I'm just unsure of the reliabilty of the homemade setups

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go to Homemadeturbo.com
Custom setups can be just as reliable as Pre Fabs if you do it right.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed. I made my own kit.. I write my own engine management software. 100% homemade baby.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with these guys... go with a custom kit. Check this link below out. My custom kit is listed a few posts down and all my other posts are about custom kits as well. The only used parts I have on my kit are the injectors and bov.

http://d-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=4293

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the advantages of a greddy kti si a lot mor erelyability, will last much lonter, no trying to get this to work with that and it is still expandable. now if you did go witht a junkyard home setup, then yea it is cheaper and u can get a decent fmic off ebay and you would initially make more power out of the box. but agai used turbos don't generally last as long as a new one.

so it's a trade off. the greddy kit at 5psi will get you about 165 wheel and with a fmic about 185 at 7lbs. if you get more stuff u can tune it to 250 wheel power. the install time of the kit is less than 1 day.

the setup and gettign everything to work properly on a home kit is about 2 weeks average (unless you know a lot about turbo systems and have everything proeprly made to fit the first time.) usually it is trial and error on getting some things to fit as well as much custom fabrication of bracks and ways to mount stuff.

so one is time comsuming and cheaper , the other is less time consuming and easy to work with. if you have the time, great! of not, well maybe you should consider a greddy kit.

·
Registered
378 Posts
oscarmayer said:
well the advantages of a greddy kti si a lot mor erelyability, will last much lonter, no trying to get this to work with that and it is still expandable. now if you did go witht a junkyard home setup, then yea it is cheaper and u can get a decent fmic off ebay and you would initially make more power out of the box. but agai used turbos don't generally last as long as a new one.
You don't have to buy a used turbo. You can put a nice custom kit together with a new turbo and still come out ahead. You can also wait for special group buys and sales so you can get the best deal possible on every part in the setup. It is harder this way since you have to search for parts and which one would work the best, but while you are searching you will learn soooo much more so when the time comes to install the kit you know what the hell is going on and have a very good idea of how things are going to work, but carry on.......... :lol:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I can get the greddy kit,types BOV and a turbo timer for about 14-1500 (i'm a dealer for a company that sells greddy products) I think i'm just gonna go with it becuase It will b easy install and reliable. I just bought a vafc for 150 bucks should I keep it or get rid of it. I bought it just becuase that was damn cheap for a sealed new vafc :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oscarmayer said:
well the advantages of a greddy kti si a lot mor erelyability, will last much lonter, no trying to get this to work with that and it is still expandable.
Sorry that's just not true. You making it sounds like all custom kits are unreliable. Reliabilty depends on fuel management, tuning, and how you put everything together. As Dr. Boost said you could use new parts when you build the kit. Also a custom kit would be way more expandable than a greddy kit.

As far as the the original question if you get a greddy kit I would use that vafc you have for fuel management and get larger injectors (DSM 450cc). You could also get a custom FMIC instead of wasting money on an overpriced greddy intercooler.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
h45454 said:
You could also get a custom FMIC instead of wasting money on an overpriced greddy intercooler.
Agreed.
For sure. Johnyracecar.com and speedpartsrus.com both have nice inexpensive intercoolers.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Boostoholic said:
h45454 said:
You could also get a custom FMIC instead of wasting money on an overpriced greddy intercooler.
Agreed.
For sure. Johnyracecar.com and speedpartsrus.com both have nice inexpensive intercoolers.
I have a johnnyracecar intercooler and they work great, but if I had to get one now I would probably get a custom coach off HMT. There is actually another guy that sells them, I think his name is "Todd" he is on HMT also. Lots of options for good cheap intercoolers. :)

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
beer, the greddy kit comes default with larger injectors and a blue/black box (which can be reprogramemd to handle up to about 12 lbs of boost safley) to control them for a 92-95 car, if he has a 96-2k car, it comes with larger injectors and a emanage. so he woul;d need a vsafc either way. The only advantage then would be for the v-tec engagement point controleld, and there he coudl live witht he stocker unit for a while.

I agree get on ebay and find a $250 cheaper intercooler than the greddy one. I've also seen the 92-95 kits being sold for like #2300 with bov and the greddy marger fmic for the civic in several places.

www.alamoautosports.com is one such place.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts