Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994 Honda Civic
transmission id: S24A-4015333 (on sticker on transmission)
but from what I've read it says online it's either A24A OR A2YA idk which

Ok I just did a Head gasket job on my car.. However when I took it for a test drive I found it slipping into a "false neutral" from how I understand it from all the research I've done so far... I let the car warm up a little, I drive it roughly a couple miles away... It's shifting fine there and back... Then as I'm going down the road it'll start revving instead for continuing with any forward momentum.. it's like the transmission just disengages and stops working as if it were in neutral.. the Transmission seems very hot.. but the thermostat hasn't moved on the cluster panel.. I've tested the lockup and shift solenoid with a 12v from the battery while the solenoids are still on the transmission.. I've changed the transmission fluid twice.. first time drained from coolant line, and the second time drained from plug (geez it took busting my hand, bolt unfreezer spray, and beating with a hammer, then using a cheater bar to get it unstuck as per say draining from the coolant lines the first few times)
Girlfriend recently over the holidays dropped it into 3rd gear by accident while I was on the interstate doing 70.. I heard that it's rated up to 90 though ??? Anyhow after slipping into neutral after warming up the only way I can get it to go into any gear is by stopping and shutting the car off.. I've heard it is more than likely the torque converter and/or clutch plate.. I'm worried if I spend the money for this which is only 150$ that there could be other issues in the gears themselves.. probably going to take it apart but that's scary as hell too.. I'm no real mechanic.. I'm learning all this stuff for the first time myself.. but if anyone could give me an idea as to what I need to inspect or what it may look like (pics maybe idk) I'd really appreciate it.. I've heard about an internal filter that could be clogged, and that after draining it could be blown out.. Idk... I don't want to have to spend 1200-1500 dollars if I don't have to but I will if necessarry.. and then the reason I posted is I read the 92-95 D series transmissions will work just fine.. but I've no clue what their id codes are to look those up... or anything.. I can't find any usuable links online and I'm kinda at a loss for words and cash... please help

Jason Ell aka Adelphia Malloc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah, here's the kicker... I've had NO CEL CODES AT ALL !!! THROUGH NONE OF THIS !!! I did replace the MAP sensor and the other one next to it on the air intake the acceeration one I forget I'm exhausted right now...

·
Registered
97 Del Sol
67 Posts
I am going to be replacing my automatic transmission with a manual soonish (as in next few months), though its from a 97 del sol.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,531 Posts
go to your local pick and pull.....or visit an aamco

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got over $4,000 in this car... I'm not scrapping it.. but I don't have 1200-1500 to buy a new one or have this one rebuilt... I think I'm just going to rebuild it... go to ammaco... that doesn't seem like a very good answer.. I stayed up to 5am researching the rebuild of it...

·
Registered
140 Posts
1. You haven't acknowledged the option of pick-n-pull (cheapest option most likely)
2. Try eBay
3. Why is Aamco a bad answer? You said you were willing to spend the money before...
4. That car better be mint for you to be $4000 into it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pick and pull MAY be an option... but last option.. I'd rather rebuild mine.. I'm VERY intelligent and very good at figuring things out.. I'm beyond a college grad.. dude I'm fucking genius to EVERYTHING I put my mind to... I have tried ebay.. I can't find anything on ebay.. Aamco is going to charge a BUNCH of money... I don't have thousands of dollars I can spend upfront... WHAT WORLD DO YOU LIVE IN Sam ???!!!!!!! 4,000$ don't do shit !!!! Idk where the heck you live but the cost of living only continues to go up... 4 grand really ain't shit.... and when I say 4,000 I include specialty tools and gaskets and etc... fuck dude just the gaskets for the head job were close to 150$ not to mention at one point she WAS painted... but then I hit like 2 deer in one wreck, and another crumpled my hood.. I replaced those with a junkyard hood and quarter panel and head light... there's been a lot I've put in this car... I LOVE my car.. I know it inside and out... now I guess the real question does anyone know of any compatibility lists which I can see that will tell me compatible transmissions???? all this "go buy a new car, go to Aamco, blah blah blah" doesn't help me... answer the question of where I can find a list of compatible transmissions or go away lol... no seriously tho I appreciate the input... but I do love my honda.. and more than likely I will rebuild the transmission I got

oh of the compatible transmissions I have found the damn company won't deliver it to a residence... go figure

oh and csdgn that thought was DEFINITELY on the table... but that is going to run me close to 800-1000 unless I can find a manual 94 in a junkyard close by... of which Idk if yall know it but in south eastern indiana there aren't many junkyards that have many late model honda civics just laying around... I don't live in a major city

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,531 Posts
Wikipedia says

1992–2003 S24A — 4-speed (also A24A/A2YA/A4RA/B46A/B4RA/B7ZA/BDRA/BMXA/M24A/M4RA/M4TA/MCVA/MDLA/MDMA/MRVA/S4RA/SLXA)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
robgoof you're overrated, tysm slo_eg8... damn overhaul kit is only 200$-ish nice.. may do a manual swap soon enough... I ended up getting a A24A from the junkyard for $50 + the gas to get there $50 twice to pull it.. got there late the first day.. So not too bad... but it's not shifting into 4th like it should until 50 mph.. I heard it's bc the "tv cable" from the tranny to the throttle needs adjusted.. ?????? should have her done tomorrow.. Damn bolt located under the wheel hub thingy was rusted on.. ughhh many other learning experiences lol.. fun fun.. but hopefully i'm about done.. and apart from the damn transmission.. yes it's damn near in mint.. all restored from junkyard and auto stores as it was an $800 hunk of junk when i got it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts