Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i have a 94 civic and it has about 130k on it and it has black smoke that forms on my bumper and when i clean it of aweek or 2 latter its right back again. Also there looks to be sum slug type build up around the back of the head below the left corner of the intake manifold. OOand the oil gets black fairly quickly and i gta add sum oil every once in awhile. i was just woundering if anyone could help me with this prob or had one like it b4 and wat you did to fix it. Thnks

·
Registered
125 Posts
ummmm idk if im consuming or not but like i said thiers dat oil type slug near da intake manifold where the head meets the block.

wat would make it run rich?

Sorry if this sounds dumb but wat does a tune up consist of nd can i do it myself?

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
rich= too much fuel. try re-torquing the HG and you if you HAVE to do a tune-up, just get new plugs, wires, and possibly new cap & rotor

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
The only thing really that would really cause you to run that rich would be the injectors leaking, bad FPR, or pinched return line.

When the car is warming up the a/f is a little richer, but not enough to cause black smoke. Also I have ran while throwing an o2 code and it didn't cause black smoke. I know people that have run without an o2 that didn't smoke that bad. Though I suppose if your ignition sys. is really bad/weak it would cause you to run a little rich.

Sludge aroung the head is pretty normal, so is the oil to get black quick well maybe not black, black. So, then your burning oil too?

What's your setup? Do you have a cat, not gutted or test pipe..........

·
Registered
125 Posts
yes i have a oem cat and my setup is a catback with 2.25 piping and a cold air intake. OO and i got new plugs acouple of weeks ago and it was still leaving that smoke. I mean wen im driving idnt see smoke i only ever just see the build up on the bumper,and trunk and i clean it and den aweek or two later its back.

i did have some injector oring problems because acouple leaked bc of tearing one time after i took the rail off, but i replaced them and it started smoking

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
^....................

This is supposed to be a place where people learn how to fix shit thereselves.

If it's burning oil, get a compression tester or better yey invest in a leak down tester and air compressor to see if there's leaking past the seals or rings. Do you have to put oil in every few weeks or so??

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
ummmm idk if im consuming or not but like i said thiers dat oil type slug near da intake manifold where the head meets the block.
He has a blown head gasket guys... He's not running rich.

Go the an autoparts store. get a Head gasket, intake manifild gasket, and exhaust manifold gasket. and you may need a putty scraper to get the bits and pieces of the head gasket off. DONT GOUGE THE BLOCK take your time. do it right.

If you dont have a manual, like a chiltons or haynes, get one. and see how to change the gasket.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thnks everyone il look into getin da manual and testers o nd yes i have to add every couple weeks or soo.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
i have the same problem (black shit on bumper)......it started after i blew my headgasket and car overheated.....i changed the hg, thermostat and radiator and THEN it started leavin that black shit on my bumbper...no coolant in oil/oil in coolant tho....what would cause it 2 leave the sludge on my bumper?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
o also my mpg went from 34mpg to 23mpg. so it might be just a simple tune up or running to rich

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
no, i dont think its the oil......like once a month i put like a shot of oil in.....it never happened till i put the new hg on....and mpg did take a lil hit as well

1 - 20 of 23 Posts