Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and might have confused myself more :) My car is a 89 CRX HF, stock.. 1.5, 8v, 5spd. OBD0. I've found a swap cheap. Its a d16y8 from a late model Civic. Its OBD2. What would need to be done to the HF and the donor engine to make it mount/work in the HF?? I believe I'd need to meet in the middle. And make my car convert to OBD1, and bring the d16y8 to OBD1. Not sure what I'd need to make them meet in the middle and work. Also are there any other issues I'll encounter with the swap, as far as mounting, tranny, what else is neaded other than a drop in. Thanks for all the help lately, Its appreciated, Joe. P

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
definitely needed: 0bd changeover harness & ECU.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can get the ECU from the civic I'm getting the motor from, I believe my best best for trannys is to find a 88-92 SI cable tranny which will bolt up. Just not sure what dizzy and wiring to use.. What would be changed on the d16y8 to make it work in the CRX HF??? Its OBD0. The d16y8 is OBD2

I need....?? the ECU from the civic, and. I'm lost. :)

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
Hit up rywire or another place and get the OBD-0->OBD-1 conversion harness

After that you'll need a OBD-1 p28 or vtec converted p06 ecu. Then source up your Si cable trans. Remember to get the clutch and flywheel that match your trans(i.e if you use the 89-91 Si trans you need the 89-91 Flywheel/clutch{IIRC the 88's we're splined diffrantly})

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gotcha getting closer to knowing :) I've got the tranny, ecu issue covered, and the conversion harness. the only thing I'm still ost on is the d16y8 is obd2. the CRX is OBD0. what dizzy do I use.. I think thats the last part of the swap I don't understand.. thanks, Joe

also will the axles I have work with the SI tranny, i believe so, not sure..

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
I'm not trying to be an ass, just trying to help, so with that I ask you, how do you know for sure you have an SI tranny? Did you just believe what somebody told you, or have you checked codes to verify?
all SI trannys have big bearing cases and codes are 3000/6000/9000/B000
all small bearing cases are usually A000/A100 and not SI...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked if a SI tranny will work with my HF axles.. I don't have a SI tranny. I can get one. Trying to figure out what will work with what.. I'm meeting with a local shop tuner I found. Hope to get some good info and figure out what routes best.. I may just go the easy reliable route and do a d16a6 w/ si tranny and pm6. direct swap. done. :) a few bolt ons.. anythings better than the 62 hp I have now...

Also 1 question, everyone keeps telling me to get rid of the 4 speed HF tranny.. BUT.. :) my tranny is a 5 speed.. did HF comes with 4 speeds?? or both..

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
oh, I misunderstood you, I thought you had said 'you got the tranny', but you were just saying you had the issue covered, my bad...lol I don't know about the four speed thing, transex would be the guy to ask, but I've never heard of gen4 car with a four speed in it, if they exist, I almost want to rock one...lol

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
i do believe you run the B7 dizzy, but im not 100% on that

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
yeah, you will need to do an MPFI swap aswell if it hasnt already been done

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You'll need an ODB1 or ODB2 engine harness.
No, you just need a OBD-0 to OBD-1 conversion harness. Haveing the motor harness woulden't do you any good unless you need plugs.

·
Registered
the same
347 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts