Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am trying to diagnose an extended crank on my 92 VX. When the engine is cold, the engine will crank for about 8-10 seconds before it finally starts. Once it starts, it runs normally. I put a fuel pressure gauge on it, and it's not getting any pressure for about 5-6 seconds of cranking, at which point it starts to build pressure until it gets to about 31-32psi, then it starts right up. I've replace the fuel filter, I've pulled the vacuum hose of the regulator for a couple minutes to make sure there's no ruptured diaphram, and verified the pressure rose to about 40psi, so I believe the regulator is working properly. Anybody have this problem? Anybody know if there is a drain back valve in the fuel line somewhere that might go bad? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Hey Fish, could be fuel pump or injector related.

The fuel system is pretty straight forward. The pump is on a dedicated supply line to the filter, then from the filter goes straight to the rail. The FPR is on the rail and from the FPR is a straight shot back to the tank.

If the FPR and filter are confirmed good, the only thing left is pump and injectors.

Does the fuel pressure drop instantly when shutoff?

Reactions: BogusSVO

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,942 Posts
If the engine is off and the gauge reads zero, what does the pressure rise to when you prime the pump but do not crank the engine?

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
check the pump voltage between relay and fuel pump

Low voltage to the pump can cause prolong cranking

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Check your service manual there may be a specification on how much fuel it should flow when priming. For example in my CRX service manual it gives a certain number of milliliters that should flow out of the fuel pump at minimum when primed and if it is below that number you either have a blockage in the line a blockage on your mesh bag at the bottom of the pump or a bad pump

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,942 Posts
New guy, one post. Asks question, gets 2 responses within a days time, never comes back to follow up.

And they wonder why people on DSO are salty when noobs ask questions

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
New guy, one post. Asks question, gets 2 responses within a days time, never comes back to follow up.

And they wonder why people on DSO are salty when noobs ask questions
lol, and fuel systems are my bread and butter.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
If he's the same deadfish from PreludeOnline, he's got some killer conquest stories from when he was younger. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts