Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am installing an aftermarket tach on my 91 civic b15, the only thing i am not sure of what to wire the green wire to(i know that it goes to the coil, but where?) i think that it goes to the neg terminal, but not sure enough.

the tach has 4 wires:
ground
illumination
+12v
tach sending(green)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Common sense would lead me to beleive it connects to the the positive terminal... but just try it on +, if it doesn't work; try -

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
positive terminal of what? the battery? i hope thats not what you guys mean....

ill give you a hint, the green wire reads the rpm... a part inside the distributor also reads rpm...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sohc rules, read more carefully, i said i know that it goes to the coil, not the battery! but the coil has neg and pos wire terminals

anyway, i figured it out, now my bride tach works awsome

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
not gonna tell me if i'm right or not?

haha, my friend installed a 6 inch ricer tach in his rusted out '92 cavalier yesterday. Install was pretty clean, but it just looked hilarious...

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
It goes to the blue wire(tach signal) on the distributor connector with two wires, blue and black and yellow or white. Splice the blue one.

Splice it on the engine harness side so you can take out the distributor latter without removing the wire.

·
Tom Foolery
1995 Civic EX Coupe
991 Posts
tach wire

The instructions say to connect to the coil, and with most civics it will have an internal coil (part of the distributer). I don't konw the color but with the post above it says it's blue so I would start there ha ha. either way you're just looking for your tach signal. if for some reason you can't figure out the wire on the outside, take the cap off and have a boo at the coil, find the negative side and follow it outside the the distributer. As he mentioned make the connection on the engine's wiring harness, not the distributers. ATTENTION: for the love of god make it a proper connection, none of this stripping off wires twisting them together then electrical tape. you don't want your tach wire messing up in the future. solder and shrink tubing is your friend. Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

Good luck with a Clean and safe install

-TAG

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
The instructions say to connect to the coil, and with most civics it will have an internal coil (part of the distributer). I don't konw the color but with the post above it says it's blue so I would start there ha ha. either way you're just looking for your tach signal. if for some reason you can't figure out the wire on the outside, take the cap off and have a boo at the coil, find the negative side and follow it outside the the distributer. As he mentioned make the connection on the engine's wiring harness, not the distributers. ATTENTION: for the love of god make it a proper connection, none of this stripping off wires twisting them together then electrical tape. you don't want your tach wire messing up in the future. solder and shrink tubing is your friend. Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

Good luck with a Clean and safe install

-TAG
There's a connector on the distributor with two wire. It's not the black and white or yellow one. It's the other one. I have an aftermarket tach in my car.

Just use a slice connector.

·
Tom Foolery
1995 Civic EX Coupe
991 Posts
Please no

There's a connector on the distributor with two wire. It's not the black and white or yellow one. It's the other one. I have an aftermarket tach in my car.

Just use a slice connector.

Please tell me you're not talking about one of these connectors.
I have seen so many problems caused by this style of connector that it makes my head spin. I don't know about southern climates but if you use one of these in your engine bay up here your car wouldn't be starting within about 2 months.

I always try to solder and shrink tube, unless it's a system that I may need to disconnect, like an alarm system if something was to happen to it that would make my car not start and I needed to get home to fix it.

-TAG

·
Tom Foolery
1995 Civic EX Coupe
991 Posts
Really

honestly I would fix these connectors about at least once a month when I worked out in the field. Once you get the salt off the roads, dirt and mud from our roads, and then the salt spray from the water all around us they were a hazard waiting to happen. Maybe it's just the island, hell we can't leave a rotor outside for more than a week or it will have to be turned. different climate I guess. Either way good luck with the install, let us know if you get it figured out.

-TAG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts