Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, hope you can help ASAP.
My brother's 96 DX sedan is stuck in his work parking lot. It's been 2 days and will get towed if we can't fix it soon. It's had this no start issue a couple times in the last few weeks but fixed itself within hours without doing anything. This time it's really stuck. Did lots of searching and here's where I'm at.
The car is getting spark and will run on starting fluid but dies shortly after. The fuel pump is not priming when you turn on the ignition. Replaced the main relay and checked fuses 13, 31, and 44 and no luck. Also sanded down the engine ground on the thermostat housing bracket. Tried directly wiring the fuel pump to the battery and it turns on, so the pump is good, but car won't start like that, I'm assuming because the ECU doesn't realize the fuel pumps running or something.
Anybody know what to check next? Or know how to temporarily get get the fuel pump going to get the car home?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,104 Posts
have you tried another known ecu? or checked the power to the pump? have you thought about plumbing in an aftermarket pump just to get you home?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Sounds like your not getting power to the ecu and fuel pump. Check the ecu for power and ground. The main relay gives the ecu and fuel pump it’s power so even though the main relay was changed doesn’t mean it has power or ground going to it. There’s 2 power wires and one ground on main relay. There’s a yellow wire on main relay that has power all the time and a black/yellow wire that is ignition power. Black wire is ground. Yellow/black is power out to ecu. Yellow/green is power out to fuel pump. Green/yellow is ground trigger from ecu to turn fuel pump on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have you tried another known ecu? or checked the power to the pump? have you thought about plumbing in an aftermarket pump just to get you home?
I don't have a spare ECU to check with.

I don't think power is getting to the pump since it turns on with external power applied.

I was hoping I could wire the stock pump like an aftermarket pump to get it home, but not sure how to go about that, as just giving the pump power turns it on, but won't run. (Assuming ecu isn't triggering the injectors) Not sure what else would need to be wired.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like your not getting power to the ecu and fuel pump. Check the ecu for power and ground. The main relay gives the ecu and fuel pump it’s power so even though the main relay was changed doesn’t mean it has power or ground going to it. There’s 2 power wires and one ground on main relay. There’s a yellow wire on main relay that has power all the time and a black/yellow wire that is ignition power. Black wire is ground. Yellow/black is power out to ecu. Yellow/green is power out to fuel pump. Green/yellow is ground trigger from ecu to turn fuel pump on.
That sounds right. I'll have to pick up a multi meter, I only have a continuity tester. If power isn't getting to the main relay/those wires, what would I need to check?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: last night without changing anything from the night before, it started up as the tow truck was on the way. Driving home it stalled out and wouldn't restart and had to get it towed anyway. No idea what's causing this intermittent problem.

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
When it's not getting power to pump check to see if the ignition at the column is passing power. On my old 96 coupe I had a similar problem and it ended up being that.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Same symptoms with my ride and it turned out to be a faulty pump..

remember, thes cars are almost 20yrs old.. they dont last forever.

Another issue is corrosion on the copper wiring. Old cars tend to have corrosion issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts