Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to screw up my suspension as it's a daily driver and I've been known to break things... anyone close to martinsburg, wv or winchester, va wanna help me install ebay coilover sleeves on my ef? I have an extra front strut bar for an ef or da, b series timing belt, ef coin pocket (black), and a few other things I could toss your way. I know it's "easy", I just feel like I will mess it up - that and I don't currently have my jack with me, just ramps. so that doesn't help. I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks!!

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
If you can get help, that'd be good... but if you can't:

1. Make sure you know how to properly lift and support your car so you don't kill/severely injure yourself.

2. Get, The Factory Service Manual from Helm's.

3. Read how to remove your strut assembly correctly.

4. Read it again. Then attempt to do it.

5. Hope for the best but plan for the worst

Just my 2¢ Good luck.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd ask in this one; other than penetrating oil and impact gun, are there any tricks to getting the rear strut assemblies out? In my case it's a '99 Civic HB. I gave it a try over the weekend and snapped the bolt on the LCA that connects to the knuckle. From the posted link, I see that the author removed the bolt for the upper control arm instead; is that less likely to snap?

Any other tricks or advice on this?

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd ask in this one; other than penetrating oil and impact gun, are there any tricks to getting the rear strut assemblies out? In my case it's a '99 Civic HB. I gave it a try over the weekend and snapped the bolt on the LCA that connects to the knuckle. From the posted link, I see that the author removed the bolt for the upper control arm instead; is that less likely to snap?

Any other tricks or advice on this?

Thanks,

Greg
Here is the run down.
There are 2 bolts up top. 14mm These normally come out easy without problems.

then there is the one below 17mm. It goes to the LCA.
This bolt normally rusts alot and ends up snapping like you said it did on you.
Onces its snap you will have to drill it out.
I normally you ca heat up the head of the bolt and it will break the rust. Just be care not to burn the bushings.

·
Registered
26 Posts
thanks for that.

Just for clarity's sake, the bolt I broke was for the LCA to the trailing arm. I think the steps in the link showed to undo the upper arm.

What are you using to heat the bolt? I only have a propane torch; will that do the job? (I hate using flame that close to a gastank).

Thanks!

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
thanks for that.

Just for clarity's sake, the bolt I broke was for the LCA to the trailing arm. I think the steps in the link showed to undo the upper arm.

What are you using to heat the bolt? I only have a propane torch; will that do the job? (I hate using flame that close to a gastank).

Thanks!
I pulled this pix from google.

Bolts 1 2 and 3 (i know there not numbers in the pix but from left to right)

bolt 2 is for the shock. 90% of the time you can just undo that bolt and push up on the shock and remove it.
the other 10% of the time you have to undo bolt 1 and 3.
then ones the whole thing is out you undo bolt 2.

And yea a propane torch might work. Just put the flame on the head of the bolt.
and if your worried about the gas tank. Take a wet towel and tape it to the tank or something. Then towel will stream long before your in any danger.

·
Registered
114 Posts
im in WV and would be willing to help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts