Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
see above
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I have a problem, I having trouble diagnosing... when ever I get into 5th gear in my 1995 Civic DX coupe with a JDM D15b swap, it feels like the car gets heavy or under powered and actually loses speed. I changed the spark plugs and it seemed to cure it... for 2 days then on my way home tonight it started up again. I've checked the fuel filter, Clean, changed oil and filter, air filter is clean, catyltic converter is working properly, had it checked, no clogs "beautiful flow" they said. also checked wheel bearings and for sticking brakes, and nada...so could it be a faulty MAP sensor? could it be or some other sensor? I'm not getting a CEL . and I'm running the proper P08 ECU for the D15B but I still have it wired with a 4 wire O2 sensor instead of the 1 wire. (The ECU isnt looking for the heater wires so that shouldn't bother it right?)

Jason

·
Registered
see above
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep timing is spot on, perfect. one of the first things I checked and forgot to list lol. I wonder if it could be the TPS but how would I check that?

·
Registered
see above
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I put in a spare Throttle position sensor I had, as well as a map sensor. This helped alot. now I actually can accelerate in 5th albeit slowly, and I'm still using WAY to much fuel. Also the engine turns over like it overly advanced.(it's not It's spot on!) it'll crank for a second or 2 then start to stumble and catch up. could that be a fuel pressure problem? I talked to a cousin of mine who said he had a similar problem with his 3rd gen talon. He switched out the fuel pressure regulator and it seemed to cure it. I wondered if there might be a consenses on that here and if so, how do I trouble shoot it. Can I pop off a hose and try to suck or blow? ( already did and no give either way...so what does that mean? LOL)

Jason

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
distributer? clutch? tb stickin?

·
Registered
see above
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Swapped out the fuel pressure regulator today, we'll see how it goes on tommarrows commute.

Jason

·
Registered
see above
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know, Necropost from Hell right! well I just gave the car to my son. who is now 17 as of today. I drove it to work (60 mile round trip used 1/3 of a tank! WTFT OVER!!!) and it did it to me again. So it's definitely intermittent, and it seems to do it worst in the early to mid spring. Summer is fine fall is kinda iffy. anyone have any idea what is going on here? Basically from 60mph+ it will not stay at a constant speed, even gradual uphill grades we have here in central Indiana will make it lose speed from 65 to about 60 over just a few seconds.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Had a problem like this long time ago.
Turn out that it was the o2 sensor. Sometimes it would stick at one voltage. (I.e .9 volts) and the car would cut fuel because it thinks it's rich when it's not and then it runs lean and bucked or sputter. Then clear up and ran fine.

·
Registered
see above
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks I've got no bucking or sputtering, it just wont go. But it has been awhile since i changed the O2 so i'll give it a shot.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Get a Denso replacement, they are usually cheap and direct fit and work better than aftermarkets!

Also sounds like a dizzy or fuel issue. If you try to accelerate hard under other gears how does it respond? Does it go all the way through the RPM or hit a dead spot and cut out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts