Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 wagon rt4wd
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've recently got my hands on a 91 civic wagon rt4wd as a daily driver. I went all the way to Seattle to get it. My experience with engine management has been limited experience with KPRO (I turbocharged a Rsx-s, and got it dynotuned professionally. I never really messed with the tuning.), and moderate experience with me personally street tuning with romraider + tactrix cable for my old WRX.

my wagon has a stock d16a6 and a pm6 ecu. I'd like to turbocharge and street tune it myself to limited boost, maybe 8-10 psi. Ive done quite a bit of reading between here and pgmfi.org but all the info seems out of date for obd0 tuning.
what I've gathered so far is:

I need turbo edit- latest version 3.xxx
I need a socketed pm6 ecu with datalog capability.
I need a chip burner or emulator for writing maps on the ecu. heres where I'm having trouble.
If I want to street tune is a chip burner going to be too tedious? is an emulator the way to go? is ostrich 2.0 the best bet for obd0 in 2018? I've heard some nightmares about how hard it is to set up ostrich 2.0

or should I go back to the drawing board and throw down the necessary money to go obd1?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
8-10 psi on what? apples to tomatoes without a direct turbo to compare at what boost pressure, as a large turbo at 2psi can create more potential power than a tiny turbo making 30psi.

OBD0 is probably quite easy in comparison to converting to OBD1, but the conversion DOES allow going to a better distributor for ignition (d15b7 92-95 bolts up), allows running a 4wire O2 sensor, and gives you much more tuning capability.

PLENTY of strong running OBD0 and OBD1 setups out there, but the sheer number of setups on OBD1 allows a lot more research on how things are done, for example datalogging and such.

It might be worth checking out some website archives dating back to say 2000-2005 to get more information.

I personally, if I had a 4th gen civic/crx/wagovan, would probably take the plunge into wiring up OBD1. A lot of these vehicles are still on factory wiring, and converting to OBD1 replaces that old crusty engine harness if you get a fancy premade one that has nearly everything in a kit.

·
Registered
91 wagon rt4wd
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
definitely some things to consider here....

i'm pretty set on keeping this below 250 hp, so i was thinking a turbo around the size of a turbonetics super 60

thats the problem i'm having with researching, theres plenty of info around 2000-2005 even some stuff up to 2010, but after that its like a black hole, which is why i was wondering if there are any new developments i should be aware of. Ive been warned about emulators being very hard to set up so im currently leaning towards a chip burner. seems very 2000's but i guess thats what you get with an obd0 car.

After making this post i learned another software called tuner express exists for obd0. any experience with it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I do not have OBD0 experience, just OBD1 but Ostrich 2.0 and Crome-free was an easy setup. It updates in realtime without issues. It's just much easier to tune in realtime and check to see if your changes made a difference. I'm not sure if turbo edit has built in logging but Crome did not so I had to log to freelog I believe. I also had to tap the wideband to the ECU o2 wire and ran it in open loop. Make sure your logging resolution is the same (rpm, vac, psi) as your map.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
dig around on acid_beaver's old posts. I believe he was a great fan and user of OBD0 tuning

I may have the name somewhat incorrect.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Turboedit or tuner express. Tuner express is the evolution of turboedit and whereas turboedit used the NG63 roms, tuner express uses NG64.

Turboedit is a tried and true platform but it does have a few little bugs. Joe told me that the few bugs I ran into should be fixed in tuner express.

I think TurboEdit is easier to install and manage if you follow the instructions in Beave’s signature.

No need to convert to OBD1 when turboedit contains probably 90% of the features of paid OBD1 software.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
“The_Acid_Beaver” I believe.

And yeah, invest in Ostrich 2.0. I had issues uploading/downloading tunes through turboedit but I was able to use EmUtility to upload/download.

You are going to make a ton of changes burning a new chip every time isn’t practical

·
Registered
91 wagon rt4wd
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the advice guys i appreciate it. I have seen quite a few of acid beavers posts that are very informative, ill make sure to just do a search for all his posts.

this definitely changed my mind, Im staying OBD0, i was about to get a chip burner but i'm going the ostrich 2.0 route. thanks again

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
If you go ahead and get everything with OBD0 sorted out, feel free to post some sort of updated OBD0 thread, so folks have a fresh reference. Lets keep the ball rolling on this site!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts