Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 civic ex USDM with stock d16z6 motor. I had problems getting the ecu to read 10 lbs of boost but now its good. When I test drove the car it ran fine. Turbo spooled up and everything just perfect. But it then backfired and would not start again. When it cut off i looked at the fuel pressure regluator and it had came off. (It was jb welded on). I now have a new FPR. The car hasnt started since. It has fuel and spark, the timing belt is on and tight, and the car doesn't throw any check engine lights. It turns over fine but just wont start. I checked all fuses and relays and all are working properly. I can hear the fuel pump prime when I cut the ignition on. But where I stopped the car in the road on the test drive there was a big oil spot on the road. I checked the block and no holes or anything. Also when a friend pulled me home i put the transmission in second gear and let go of the clutch. No clinking or abnormal sounds. Set up is airesearch t3-t4 turbo at 10 psi, Turbonetics external wastegate, DSM 450cc injectors with resistor box, chipped p28 ecu with xenocron chipping kit, and a basemap reading the turbo and injectors. I am stuck and dont know what it could be. I am soon pulling the motor to bore and put vitara/eagle pistons and rods in. I am stationed in germany so parts stores and auto shops are out of the question for me. Please ANY suggestions would be any kind of help to me.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Is mechanical timing on point? Do you have compression?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mechanical timing is retarded by .5 degrees for boost and I dont have a compression gauge at the moment to check the compression

·
11,892 Posts
You misunderstood. If you put the crank at tdc where are the marks on the cam gear?

·
Registered
Ferio
14 Posts
compression test that sucker or leakdown to make sure your blocks still holdin pressure, then get back to us ... compression test is like $10, $15 the most at harbor frieghts otherwise like $25 at vatozone haha

·
11,892 Posts
Yeah I've had my hf comp tester for like 4-5 years now and hasn't let me down yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are the two marks on the left and right side of the cam gear and one up top. The plastic pointer is pointing to another line on the bottom of the cam gear which is top dead center. Same with the crank pulley. And like I said, I am stationed in Germany. There are no harbor freights or autozones here. And neither ship to APO addresses. Ill try to find one here and get back and let you know if i have compression

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked the plugs already. They are intact and gapped properly. Smell like fuel as well. But I will buy new colder plugs and wires to see if that is the problem. But in the meantime i will try to find a compression gauge and test compression.

·
Registered
Ferio
14 Posts
i doubt replacing plugs and wires will fix the problem, they usually just dont take a shit like that, especially if you say your still gettin spark ... look more into your engines compression ... or a possible leak around the intake manifold, backfire could have blown a gasket or something ... and as everyone is saying make your timing is still set and hasnt skipped

·
Premium Member
91 Civic sedan
959 Posts
If you have access to a multimeter you can test your wires before you waste money on new ones. and a hillbilly way to check for compression is to take all your plugs out, put a plug in a cylinder and just start it in the threads so its not tight. then turn the crank with a wrench and listen to the air wizzing past the plug. do this to each cylinder and if one of them sounds like its not really pushing any air past the plug there's your problem cyl. This isn't an accurate method at all, but its better than nothing.

Also, another, slightly better, hillbilly method to test compression is to put the piston you are testing at Bottom Dead Center just before the compression stroke, install the plug tightly and then turn the crank to make compression in the cylinder. it should be pretty hard to push the piston to the top if your compression is good. if it goes up easily then its bad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i did the hillbilly way that psjones13 said. Lot of air coming out of all cylinders. I pulled the head yesterday and all pistons are in tact. Im getting it ready for a overhaul and build. Im thinking I may have blown the battery on the ecu. Thats the only thing I can possibly think of

·
Premium Member
91 Civic sedan
959 Posts
i did the hillbilly way that psjones13 said. Lot of air coming out of all cylinders. I pulled the head yesterday and all pistons are in tact. Im getting it ready for a overhaul and build. Im thinking I may have blown the battery on the ecu. Thats the only thing I can possibly think of
When you pulled the head off did you check the valves?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts