Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm brand new to this forum but I am extremely excited to have found a board dedicated to the D-series engine. About 6 months ago one of my connecting rods went in my 2000 1.6EL (D16Y8 ) 5-speed, I bought an RSX and the EL has sat in my driveway.
My little sister is now weeks from having her license and I would love nothing more than to have the EL up and running in time for her to drive it away from the drivers test :p

Now the current engine already has about 300,000km on it (though the body is immaculate) so I decided spending 4-5 hundred on new rods is a waste of cash on a 300k engine considering the price of lightly used engines.

So choice #1 for engines is a D15B I can pick it up for about $800. Choice #2 is a D17A2 and again for around $800. What I want to know is what is going to be the easiest for me (with the help of a more experience friend lol) and the cheapest solution.

Obviously the D17 is a little bit juicier and has a 1.7L disp and the D15B slightly smaller with a 1.5L disp

My questions are: - Most importantly, will either of these engines fit in without havin to purchase new mounts. - Will there be issues with a D15 being OBD1 and my curre D16 being OBD2 - What else will I need? Thanks!

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
dont bother with a D17. And to get an OBDII D15B, its gonna be a 3stage VTEC. Honestly, id get another y8 if you could find one or get a y7 bottom end and have the y8 head re-done and bolt it on

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm I havent been able to find a y8 locally and im hesitant to hit up pick a part places seeing as 3 for 3 of the engines I've bought from such places have all been equally or more fucked than the engine im trying to replace lol :p

Anyone know where I can find a y8 in the Calgary area by chance or somewhere I can order one online.

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
$800 is way to much for a d15b...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts