Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, long time lurker, first time poster. Secondly, I need some help. This is my last chance to get this car running before the wife convinces me to scrap it. It's a 2001 Honda civic lx with a d17a JDM motor dropped in it about 5 years ago. Around summer of 16 the head gasket blew so i replaced it and the car ran fine for a while but then the cam sensor screw loosened and cause the lower driven timing gear to break a tooth. It took forever to diagnose that but my wife finally spotted it. With a new, cog wheel installed i got the car to turn over fine and but it went into limp mode within a few miles and then died, luckily infront of an orileys. They jumped me and it started but had a bad alternator diode test reading so i replace the alternator but now still I get crank but no start. So I pulled out the old multimeter and the crank sensor is fine on all counts but the cam sensor ground had a voltage drop of about 300 mv between the ground wire and the block so it seems that the logic ground on the cam sensor is bad. So I found the ecu pinout and found the two logic grounds location and planned on using continuity to identify the bad ground wire in order to splice in a new one. But here's the rub: both logical ground wires have continuity with the cam sensor ground! So now I'm stuck trying to figure out which logical ground site to cut for the splice.

Or am I totally off base?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,016 Posts
is it timed correctly? just a thought

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why are you splicing a sensor? Do you have any codes? Timing belt set properly (it's a bitch on the d17 motors).
I will recheck the timing tonight, however my main concern is that I was getting a large voltage drop on the cam sensors ground wire. I was planning on rewiring the ground for the cam sensor. If my timing is off however, then I will re time it first before messing with any splicing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts