Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv got an eg5 92 si and just put in a rebult engine in and am having problems with my crank bolt snapping all the time after doing about 1000km with it in...its happened three times now what could be the problem???

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
290 Posts
are you useing a torque wrench?

·
Registered
915 Posts
i have NEVER torqued that bolt down...ive always broke it loose with a breaker bar and 3 feet of pipe, and run it back on with my craftsman 1/2 inch impact...never had a problem

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
i have NEVER torqued that bolt down...ive always broke it loose with a breaker bar and 3 feet of pipe, and run it back on with my craftsman 1/2 inch impact...never had a problem
thats basicly how they do it at honda... ask a lot of the guys that work at a honda dealership about torque specs on things and they will tell u "i just use the impact."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
thanks for your help but i have used a tourqe wrench set to 130 as the manual said and that bolt broke and then did it again at 120 and that bolt snaped and then i rang honda and got them to send me intalation intructions and a brend new bolt as well, the manual said,
Firt tighten bolt to 145ft pnds and then run engine for 10 mins then take bolt out and refit to 90ft pnds and then 90 dagrees then run engine for another 2-3 mins then tighten a further 60 dagrees from the 90... and then you are done.... BUT it Still snaped...

·
Registered
56 Posts
old school .. you gotta have the right torque technique .. don't torque all at once. Do it by hand, about 1/2 torque the 1st time then up to spec.

Hell, my dad insists, assemble then dismantle & do it all again!

maybe your crank isn't balanced correctly?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts