Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, when I started my car after the rebuild last night. It made an awful clunk, clunk, clunk, right when it started. It didn't even seem like it was running yet. I immediately turned off the key.
Car: 96 Civic
Engine: D16Y8
Complete rebuild.

My first thoughts were bent valves or a spun bearing.

First, I checked the timing and it is spot-on.

Pulled the valve cover, and everything seemed fine. Motor spins freely without binding (at least I don't think it binds). Is it very noticeable if there are valves contacting pistons (it is a stock rebuild, shouldn't have contact)?

This morning, I pulled the oil pan expecting to find metal shavings galore and a rod that I could move around the crank, and nothing. Everything looks great still. All rods are snug (don't move around the crank) and there is no signs of any damage. Please help me troubleshoot what could be wrong. Is it normal for an initial startup to make noise like that until everything is well lubed, etc.?

Pics:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, after looking at numerous first start videos, I am wondering if the noise is normal. I just didn't let the car try to run for even a second when I heard the clunking.

Can anyone confirm that there would be a clunking/knocking for the first x amount of seconds on the initial startup of a rebuild?

Thanks for any help,
Steve

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been thinking also:

If it were rod knock or a valve hitting a piston, wouldn't I hear it turning the motor over to start as well?

It sounded normal while turning over, but then the clunking happened for the second and I turned the key off in worry.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
She lives!

Apparently, I just needed to give it a little gas.
We put everything back together, primed the oil pump and tried to start it. Same noise, but then I gave it a little gas and the engine roared to life.

I then ran at 2000 rpm for 30 minutes and drained the break-in oil. Now I am about to go drive and seat the rings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts