Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just joined the forum. I've finally seen the light and simple power of D series :D
I've owned only one honda, a 1990 auto crx! It was probably the funnest POS I ever drove. I had big plans, but I was also 16, it broke, and while I knew alot then, I know more now.
I've researched Honda's since I was like 14. I'd say I'm pretty knowledgable in the areas.
OK, well onto business. I'm HOPING and PRAYING that I can get a 1989 Civic hatch this weekend. It's so clean and fresh. It's STD, so it's 4 speed and D15b1 ftw :dots:

He was asking 2400 obo, with 160000 miles. I said no. Now he wants 2000 obo. I still say no. I'm gonna throw $1300 his way and hope for the best.
Well, I'm looking to get it and do a little building, now that I'm 20 and smarter and have a job haha. I really don't feel like getting a B and doing mounts and swaps and spending too much on stupid shit. D series are cheap, durable, and just as good if not better :bigok:

So basically, I'm just gonna make it clean and nice, some nice 16'' wheels and dropped. Performance wise is where I need some guidance.

I don't want to get another block, simple bc I live in a trailor near my college and don't anywhere to put it!

Plan of attack would be:
Mini Me swap with Z6 or Y8
Of course MPFI swap with the head swap
SI tranny and ECU

I figure that would be a good start. I would reallllly love to keep the block, like I said, just not enough room, but maybe get some nice rods and pistons. I am planning to turbo, but not anytime soon. I want it bullet proof first. I'm not aiming for 300 hp or anything. Maybe 200-250.

Like I said, I'm new to D's really... so I just want to make sure that all sounds dandy. Haha Thanks guys for the advice, and thanks for turning me to the dark side :gayfight2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and of course convert to OBD1 and possibly use ex transmission. I've have to get the whole hydro kit, but is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
Red '95 EX
1,066 Posts
Oh and of course convert to OBD1 and possibly use ex transmission. I've have to get the whole hydro kit, but is it worth it?
nagh the cable si tranny outta the 89-91 crx is pretty nice already and you can get it built with shorter gearing, im sure if bone sees this he'll chime in.

he's one of our resident tranny guru's

welcome to the D...use the search button every now and then and youll do fine here

but yes convert to obd1 :bigok:

oh and if your going to introduce yourself, you should do it in the n00b forum first before posting here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, yea, I was a bit confused, since I know I am a noob, but I actually know what I'm talking about most of the time, excuse the hydro part, I was thinking about the ex transmission, and since I considered that building my engine, I didn't know where to put it. But thanks man. I totally agree. I've searched. Trust me :D Just wanted some guidance for the most part. College Station? Nice, went there for a couple days last fall.

·
Registered
'97 hatch
438 Posts
Welcome. EF's are super cool imo, so good luck getting your hands on that one! It's funny how the price gets jacked up because people are trying to find them for builds. I mean, you'd think $1300 would be plenty generous for a 21 year old economy car, right?

BTW, if you build that engine, there's a TON of reading this site has to offer..

Good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Oh yea, I've always stalked this site hardcore haha. I loved my CRX, as crappy as it was. It was probably the funniest POS I've ever driven. It had no reverse half the time. The transmission got stuck in 2nd for the first 5 mins of driving. I had to manual shift the auto usually lol. Oh and I found out, the auto back then doesn't shift out when it redlines like they do now... I bounced off limitier and redlined alot in 2nd haha.

Oh and it's funny, I could see someone who knew about Hondas charging a "popularity tax" by asking for $2000, but this guy didn't even know what a Si was. I was trying to tell him that according to KBB, a 1990 Si with 100k miles in excellent is $1600 tops. This car is a year older, 60k more miles, and STD. I laughed out loud literally

·
Registered
'97 hatch
438 Posts
Huh, well you should have some room for bargaining then. Yea, "popularity tax" is what it usually boils down to! KBB doesn't know how bad YOU or someone else wants it.

Funny you should mention pushing your CRX.. when my buddy and I rebulit a closer-geared tranny for mine (which made a huge difference and was fun as crap) we put the reverse idler gear in backwards, so no reverse.. and I mean for like a solid YEAR! ha ha I didn't want to get back into it, and didn't wanna hit up my bud for another favor right away, plus I was so happy to have it back together it was worth learning how to read which way the parking lot was slightly graded to avoid unnecessary pushing. ha ha Only got really stuck twice. Cheaper than a gym membership too!

Yeah, the only thing about building it that I've run into that's kind of a bummer is that you kind of have to make the turbo/NA call right away, but then it's not really set up right until you raise the cash for a turbo. I wound up choosing NA just for simplicity, but then I'm not really one to get crazy fast on the street, and this is what this car is for until I can afford a dedicated daily driver. I'm sure turbo would be fun, but I'm gonna throw any extra money at suspension before anything like that.

Edit: I mean, if you set up for turbo, piston-wise (lower compression), then it's not going to be as peppy until you get a turbo in it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yea, if I do go turbo, it's going on all at once. Low Compression pistons with turbo = barely starting car and no power! Yea, no reverse can be a bitch, but I just park at places where it's not needed. It's the equalivant of a huge ass truck, you don't wanna back up and shit. I ended up totalling it in a... god its so *******, but I am from alabama and I was 16, I was going 45 on a dirtroad with a friend and said "watch this" and yanked up e-brake. Side ways for about 25 feet then off a bank into 6 foot ditch. It still started and everything, but some oil leak problem, and I was 16, got it for $150 from my best friend, sold it for scrap for $250 hhaha

·
Registered
'97 hatch
438 Posts
Yikes! That sounds like fun, but not so much in the aftermath, with a ditch in the way and all. Well, if it makes you feel any better, sounds like the kind of stuff my friends and I used to do without really thinking about consequences. Of course I'm from North Carolina, so...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts