Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Luck is not on my side. 2 yrs ago an ARP stud broke down on the first 30 torque session after I changed the Head Gasket.

Last saturday I changed the suspension on the car and then I removed the head to change the gasket due the coolant leak to the reservoir. Found the problem why it was doing that. 3 head studs where kinda loose so under boost compression leaked out of cylinders.
Block looked good, coppersprayed the cometic HG and the machined head (I got 2) was on, I had my friend tighting it down while I prepared the VC and IM.
He said dude ARP #1 (# torque sequence)isn't taking any torque...
That was the same we found loose...
I asked him if it had any chip on the thread...
he said he din't see coz the arp had the lube on...
I took it out and the full block thread was on the arp stud!

I got so pissed ( this is the last turbo car I will ever buld) damn alluminum block... the head stud hole #2 has already a helicoil my mech put in after he removed the arp that broke 2 yrs ago

How many of you run helicoils?
Shall I fit just 1 or 2? in the same hole?
What with the tail of the helicoil? pressurized air can pull it out??

I'd love to have a new block, but planning/buying another rebuild? NO thanx I rather sell the car before anothe calamity happen.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Damn man that sucks. I don't know If i would trust one for a head stud or not...

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn man that sucks. I don't know If i would trust one for a head stud or not...
Yeah man it sucks big time... I wanted to burn the car. I really got tired of the same things.
My next build will be a NA for sure!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Time-serts are better than Helicoils, but a heli-coil will be more than adequate if installed correctly.
yeah, I saw the time sert too.. But bought the helicoil... man I'm so tired about this thing... if I just think about torquing the stud I got shivers... ( something happens everytime!)

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
a properly installed helicoil is actually stronger then the block with out one.

·
Registered
581 Posts
i did the helicoil...worked fine...but i am not boosted...i dropped two helicoils in to get more surface area contact...

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
timeserts FTW! i have one in my driver side mount, and the tranny mounts. helicoils are garbage, i used to have them in my trans. they kept backing out.

zero issues(other than price) with the timeserts.:beer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts