Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 civic ex with a d16y8.... Just found out i have a blown head gasket, what should i do??? go b series, rebuild, Zc head?? any other ideas and advice?

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
replace head gasket maybe?
hahaha.
yes replace the HG and take the head to get plained so its truely flat again.
and dont re-use the stock head bolts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess i can do that but thats going to cost allot of money, so im not sure if i should just swap something else in... Its going to cost me like $800 bucks!

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
I guess i can do that but thats going to cost allot of money, so im not sure if i should just swap something else in... Its going to cost me like $800 bucks!
EIGHTHUNDRED DOLLARS?????!??!
:3dtard:

I say you give them your chile instead cuz they just want to milk you Son Damn!

Headgasket cost $40 or so.
take your head off and take it to a machine shop just so they can clean it up for you and check n see if it's not warped or nothing like that. That should cost around $60 give or take.

Put that muffucker back together, I would use the same headbolts why not? lol.

and you should be good.

When your civic turns on, you can tell that crazy $800 dude to get them, roll em up and stick em in his Nalgas!

·
Registered
99 civic ex
111 Posts
replace you head gasket! i just did mine sunday took 8hrs(1hr break) going slow, like pata said $40 for a head gasket. id use a oem one same headbolts dipped in vatozone oil, i bought all the tools i needed but u can rent them for free, change oil and antifreeze,deck the head set the timing ur good 2 go, ohh yea i got the same motor!

·
Premium Member
95 Solvic, 93 dS si
694 Posts
800, dude thats crazy, just do the work yourself.

All you need is a few sockets, torque wrench, HG, you can reuse your head bolts (but i usualy dont), and while your at it you might as well do timing belt, water pump and tensioner too. All in all its a 6 hour job to do all of that, and should run you maybe 200 for tools, parts, and fluids.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I literally lol'ed at "$800"
then lol'ed again at "8 hours"

If you think you have the skill to swap a B series in you sure as hell better be able to fix a fucking head gasket...

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
800?!?!??!?? WTF are you serious!!!!! Wow your getting robbed brother. I did my own head with a straight edge, feeler gauges and and 12" block sander and 220 grit, with about 1 hour of time it was within .002 all across the plane.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Change it your self for under $200 with a new gasket, timing belt and water pump. 6hrs tops with a lunch break.

800?!?!??!?? WTF are you serious!!!!! Wow your getting robbed brother. I did my own head with a straight edge, feeler gauges and and 12" block sander and 220 grit, with about 1 hour of time it was within .002 all across the plane.

WOW 220 grit? Damn son...

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
Unless you want to become a Head gasket changing pro. I will recomend buying the stock Honda Head Gasket. I got to where I could change out those things in an hour and a half. I had another head that I would keep freshond up just in case it blew again. Trust me when you change it six times in three months. And I'm talking from start, beer break, to engine start. Permatorque can eat a De ick.

And no it wasn't anything I was doing wrong. I even took everything out of the block and had it decked. Screw Permatorque.

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
damn son, whoever is charging you 800 bucks is a rip off, im doing a headgasket on a lexus gs300 and its got the straight 6 motor, so far with new gaskets and to get the head milled its around 200 bucks, for everything, and im charging the guy 300 to do it lmfao and this is on a lexus, not a honda, alot harder, if you live near me so cal i can do it for you, probably take me 4-5 hours total including driving and getting the headwork done and ill charge you 200 plus parts

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
$800 sounds like a motor swap
8hrs sounds like a motor swap

I did one before about 2yrs ago only took me like 2hrs. I didnt check the block/head because I have a motor coming just needed to keep on rolling till they finished there swap.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
These guys are right, $800 is WAAAAY to high.

Swapping a new motor in is going to cost more than that and putting a ZC head on is still going to require a HG.

·
Registered
civic
451 Posts
$800 sounds like a motor swap
8hrs sounds like a motor swap

I did one before about 2yrs ago only took me like 2hrs. I didnt check the block/head because I have a motor coming just needed to keep on rolling till they finished there swap.
Lol, not for this guy,
motor swap $8000
time to do it 8 weeks

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
may have been 480 or something. Was some years ago but yes. And it worked just took some patience. And didnt cost 800 bucks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts