Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on doing this within the next few weeks, basically doing my cast manifold, WG dumptube and downpipe. I was also thinking about heatwrapping my IC pipes. I've seen a few cars where this was done and i really really like the way it looks. Especially in my case... the little 2 inch mandrel bends look rather anemic, and IMO makes the setup look weak. I have mixed thoughts on doing this however.
1. The heatwrap will hurt performace, since it will keep heat in the charge piping therfor reducing power and increasing likelyhood of detonation... but I figure with my JRC FMIC it really shouldn't matter.

2. The wrap will help the charge air stay cool from heatsoak...especially on the "cool" side of the IC. Also cut down on exposure to salt and other harsh elements of MI roads. Also would keep pipes in place better and reduce the blowing apart of pipes at connectors since there is something else holding them there.

Only problem is I can't figure out which one is right!!!!

I'm getting 100 feet of 2 inch, and I'm sure after manifold/downpipe/wg tube I will have a healthy amount left over.

Please let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i really dont think its going to make the charge temps go up but also im not sure how much if any it will go down by.. if you like the looks and you have some left i say do it. i also have seen a few people around here with that done. i dont see it harming anything at all.

·
Registered
97 Civic CX Hatch
836 Posts
It'll keep the charge pipes from heat soaking as badly. I'd keep it off the piping before the intercooler, since the air inside should be higher than the air around the turbo/exhaust area...it'll sorta use that first section of piping as a mini cooler. After the intercooler, though, the air inside should be - ideally - cooler than the air under the hood. Wrapping the pipes after this should keep the air cooler by avoiding the aforementioned heak soak. While you're at it, though, I'd also wrap the ex. mani, the downpipe, and get a wrap kit for the turbo itself. It'll greatly reduce the underhood temps, and help to accelerate the flow through the exhaust system...

·
Registered
Donkey
742 Posts
Rather than using heatwrap, what you want, is to get some aluminium foil tape wrap, and put it on, wherever the pipe crosses close to the exhaust manifold or turbo. Heatwrap is designed to keep things hot. So if your pipes soak with heat from the turbo manifold/housing, the heatwrap will dampen the ability of the material your IC pipes are made from, to dispurse its heat in its natural fashion. thus more heat will be retained and you will have gained nothing

....except more detonation

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Every one hears those things. See thing is heat is an essential ingredient in turbocharger performance. More hea retention in the manifold would be a GOOD thing and I'm pretty sure my cast manifold will be ok. I'm just wondering about the intercooler piping. I think I will wrap the ic piping all around. I really thought about it, and I bet the amount of cooling of the air just from dispersion on the hot side is minimal at best. With a relatively large fmic like I have... it really shouldn't be an issue.

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
I have the ic piping that is located closest to the turbo and manifold wrapped. I also wrapped my oil return line. I used 1" header wrap to do this. To me it is worth it.

·
Registered
97 Civic CX Hatch
836 Posts
Heat wrap is an insulation. The temperature of the air inside the pipe, the pipe itself, and the air outside the pipe are all trying to get to the same temperature. Adding an insulating material will make it harder for the temps to equalize. So, for the exhaust side, if the air in the exhaust is 1000 degrees and the air outside is 200 degrees, heat wrap will help keep this difference, lowering underhood temps. Since insulators are non directional, if the temp inside the tubing is lower than the surrounding air, it'll also keep this difference. If the intercooler doesn't cool the air down below the underhood temp, however, this could hurt, as it would keep the piping from acting as a heat sink. Thus, why I said to only wrap after the intercooler...

·
D-series Champ
1,338 Posts
i'm gonna have to agree with spdracer i think it will lower your temps but now it looks like it's up to you to prove one of them wrong. i thought about doing the same thing. take some temps and post them wraped and unwraped, i'm curious.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats far to much effort for me! Looks like I'll do it and just go by the scientific method...feel the pipes and see if they seem better or worse!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly.. I could care less. There are mixed opinions as to weither heat wrap causes rust...and most evidence shows that it doesn't.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I honestly don't think it's a problem. The car rarely gets driven in anything less than optimal weather. I've seen pictures where peoples pipes rust evberywhere that the heat wrap wasn't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts