Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Mr. Newb here again. . .The heater blows cold air. After the engine has ran and warmed up, it still won't heat up.

Very new to looking for general problems. Can you guys give me a general idea of where and what to check for. I'd like to save some fuel $$ by driving the Rex, but its so damn cold right now. . .I really need the damn heater to work first.

Thanks in advance

Also if you have pics of what you're describing, that would be a bonus, because half the time I'm clueless on what I'm looking at or searching for--I know, Imma :tool:

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
heater core could be bad. something could be jammed in the heater box, it could really be any number of things. mine blows cold because I busted something in the heater box. even with the heater valve open so coolant passes through the core, it still blows cold.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mrnicolas said:
heater core could be bad. something could be jammed in the heater box, it could really be any number of things. mine blows cold because I busted something in the heater box. even with the heater valve open so coolant passes through the core, it still blows cold.
I posted this thread and then felt even more like a dumbass. . .I need to get a damn shop manual and quit asking these general ?'s.

Mrnicolas: Thanks for the post. I'll have to check it out today.

Is there a preferred shop manual: Chilton's or other??

I'm trying to learn general car repair, and I'm asking people here for help when I could do some reading. . .

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
a haynes shop manual is like $14 and will give you a good BASIC idea of things in your car. there are far better manuals out there than the haynes though. The manual I would try to get my hands on if I were you is a Helms manual. It is an awesome manual. A little more expensive, but worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mrnicolas said:
a haynes shop manual is like $14 and will give you a good BASIC idea of things in your car. there are far better manuals out there than the haynes though. The manual I would try to get my hands on if I were you is a Helms manual. It is an awesome manual. A little more expensive, but worth every penny.

Thanks, I'll see what I can come up with.

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Helms=the best... so much detail.

About the heater...
Before you get a new core, try bleeding the system with the heat on, it may have air pockets.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice and the links. I thought I lost it, but I did find an Adobe pdf version, I know its not Helms, but I'm getting an idea of where to start. Hopefully I can figure this one out. thanks again ;-)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
mrnicolas said:
even with the heater valve open so coolant passes through the core, it still blows cold.

If the heater valve is stuck open (thermostat) so coolant passes through the core it will NEVER blow heat. Its when the thermostat is closed is when you build up heat. If this "valve" is open (or stuck open) then you will never get heat, because the engine cannot build up enoght heat to warm the cabin......

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Rayden said:
Hey Mr. Newb here again. . .The heater blows cold air. After the engine has ran and warmed up, it still won't heat up.

Very new to looking for general problems. Can you guys give me a general idea of where and what to check for. I'd like to save some fuel $$ by driving the Rex, but its so damn cold right now. . .I really need the damn heater to work first.

Thanks in advance

Also if you have pics of what you're describing, that would be a bonus, because half the time I'm clueless on what I'm looking at or searching for--I know, Imma :tool:

Things to check: Thermostat, quality of antifreeze (or just replace it), quality of radiator. Also check the piping from the radiator to your thermostat, if it is cold than your thermostat maybe stuck open. If its hot then it might not be the thermostat.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
my crx had the same problem, the door goin to the heater wasnt opening allowing air to pass over it. i moved it by hand and viola its opened:beer:

·
0 Posts
is the top hose on the radiator hot or cold? if it is cold, then your thermostat is stuck OPEN meaning no heat on the engine, meaning no heat in passenger compartment....top radiator hose should always be hot....

C

·
0 Posts
as stated before...when was the last time your thermostat was replaced? Faulty or bad thermostat would cause this exact problem. I suggest replacing this first before jumping into a heater core project. For 10 bucks and about half an hour, you could have your car blazing hot with the windows down! Good luck

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would have loved to get this figured out this past weekend. . .I need a new 02 sensor (it should be here today/tomorrow) for the exhaust manifold, then I can be finished with the header, cat and exhaust. I can't even start it up right now. I'm hoping its just a thermostat

Civicboisi: I bought the car in October, used with 165,000 miles. I'm guessing it could probably use a thermostat, but I didn't ask the guy for recent mechanical tune-up receipts--been a good idea though. I'm sure I'll be generally doing tune-up type work as I'm building her up.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
heres a pic of the door that was closed on my crx, you car should have something similar, im upside down looking towards the heater core if i could see it.:beer:

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    41 KB Views: 68

·
Registered
130 Posts
i second what nastyhabitzcrx said about the little heater door it is either opened or closed when you turn the temp dial,also if everything else does not work, there is a valve in the tubing to the heater core that is opened by turing the temp dial. it is between the firewall and the intake manifold i think, make sure that is moving freely. i would even try to pop of the wire that goes to the vavle and move it by hand

1 - 20 of 21 Posts