Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 hatch
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just put a turbo blanket on it. also going to heat wrap all i can just wondering how much it really effects the spool time.. just joined so cut me some slack...

here is my build

BLOCK.......

d16z6

eagle h beam rods

acl race bearings

bisi moto turbo coated pistons 9:0:1

darton flanged sleevs

arp rod bolts

oem water pump

oem ported oil pump

HEAD......

z6 head

bisi moto 3.6 race cam

brass retainers

full bisi moto spring kit

bisi moto cam gear

cometic head gasket

all other gaskets are oem

arp head studs

skunk 2 intake mani port matched to head and polished

fierra valves

Head has bin ported and polished and flow benched

TRANNY.......

syncrotech tranny from calli

special gearing

carbon coated syncro's

stage 3 sprung clutch with arp bolts

lightend fly wheel with arp bolts

FUEL.........

waldbro 255 in tank

boch 044 inline under hood

bigger fuel lins all AN fittings

larger fuel rail

RC1000 injectors

blox throttle body

omni 4bar map sensor

tail b.o.v

tail waistgate

67trimm Turbonetics turbo custom built from bisimoto just for this build

bluridge ram horn manifold

lakewood traction bars

mishimoto radiator

msd wires

blue ridge oil catch tank all A N fittings and stainless line

electronic boost controller
greddy turbo timer

mishimoto intercooler

3"down pipe to electric cutout then 2/4 to flowmaster

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
it helps yes. search around there is a huge thread about it with tons of info.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Boyle's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In essence, the pressure/volume/temperature of the exhaust system pre-turbo is allways changing however, the higher the temperature of the exhaust gasses the higher the pressure will be in the exhaust system. Since you cannot easily change the volume of the exhaust gasses leaving the head (such as boring or stroking) or change the pressure of which it leaves the head (which could be a combination of both turbo sizing and output of volume from the head) temperature is much more easily changed. Exhaust pressure is what drives the turbocharger so yes, it will help spool (assuming that the engine/exhaust is at operating temperature). I would also consider a turbo blanket to help retain heat. However both of these help with performance, they degrade the steel much faster with them installed, stainless is more resilient to cracking/rust than mild steel, but its still much more harsh on the steel than without.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Just one typo I think. You said brass retainers. I simply don't believe that. Surely you mean brass guides or titanium retainers on such a build.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I dont think it has nearly as much real world effect as it does theoretically.
Maybe if you have a long exhaust path, like what you see on tight engine bay V6/V8 engines with single turbos, it may have a measurable difference. From what Ive seen of 4 cylinder turbo engines with exhaust manifold runner length measured in mere inches, the wrap has no measurable effect.

Then of course there is the issue of higher temps which increases metal fatigue, which is why you rarely see wrap used even on road race cars, where spool-up time is extremely important.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
It keeps the exhaust hotter, no doubt which can help spool times. Obviously the longer the exhaust, the more heat can be saved. On a compact exhaust the benefit might be insignificant.

The heat does help degrade the exhaust and turbo hot side housing faster, but also slows cooling and protects from water splash and consequential thermal shock, so that kinda swings both ways.

On a serious race car, it can hinder service. Race cars should be as easy as possible to work on as they often are worked on and often under severe time pressure.

The main advantage to my mind is the lower under bonnet (hood) temperature and the reduced radiant heat to adjacent components like charge pipe and radiator.

·
Registered
93 hatch
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I deff dnt have brass retainers .lol typo and I would put up some pics but how do you uplode them on to your post? And sohcej8 bisi has treated me well deff recomend his parts to any one. sorry for any typ o's on my phone doing this

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
2009 Civic Si Sedan
522 Posts
I always heat wrap my exhaust. Is there a noticeable difference in performance I can't tell, is there a noticeable difference when you reach to check your oil, hell yes.
You can grab a primary on a mild N/A motor with heat wrap, while its running, on my turbo you could touch but not grab, but it had thicker walled primaries.
I like good heat retention. My homemade top mount is mild steel and I wrapped it twice, over the years. It now has some rust pockets but has not rusted through yet.
My next motor, a PG6 z6, will have git a ceramic dip and than some heat wrap.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
i noticed a very small amount of spool time improvment maybe like 1-300rpms....but the major improvment was the reduction of underhood temps...i saw huuuuge improvments there, less heat soak means more power, and in the end wrap and blankets are worth ever damn penny

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Damn!!! Some one has some coin! Thats a pricey list of bisi shit.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I would recommend a heat shield over a turbo blanket. In the event that you have an oil leak on your turbo, the blanket would soak it up and that could lead to a bad situation. Further, a heat shield works incredibly well and is pretty reasonably priced in comparison.

I installed a heat shield and ceramic coated which help spool times slightly and turned my engine bay into a fridge.

·
Registered
^
3,347 Posts
I would recommend a heat shield over a turbo blanket. In the event that you have an oil leak on your turbo, the blanket would soak it up and that could lead to a bad situation. Further, a heat shield works incredibly well and is pretty reasonably priced in comparison.

I installed a heat shield and ceramic coated which help spool times slightly and turned my engine bay into a fridge.
Do you have pics of your engine bay?

I'd like to see this setup.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Load pics onto computer or phone. You then need to host them on a site like Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (thats who i use). Once uploaded copy the img code and paste it into your reply on here. It will only show the code while you type your message. Once you submit your post the picture will appear. If you edit your post it will revert back to the code until you resubmit your post

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Go to the go advanced box. Search for the function there like we all did. It ain't exactly hard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts