Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of the two are better the Z6 head or the Y8. Is there any other possible transplants beside these. I have a 97 D16Y7.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
go with a y8 head.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Maybe you can make another thread so you have 4 threads with the same title.
Already posted in them asking to be deleted, hopefully people catch up on it and don't post in them.

I'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt that it was a computer error that caused them.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
people say the z6 is better because of the port design, the z6 doesn't have an offset port like the y8 does. For my headswap i got a y8 so....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Which of the two are better the Z6 head or the Y8. Is there any other possible transplants beside these. I have a 97 D16Y7.
Yes.......................Transplant a bisimoto cam in your y7 head =D Along with several other transplants, the much heralded but least gainful I/H/E combo, and the coveted EX Tranny Swap..... Much like a real "tranny" swap, but with out extra cock to ruin it for you. Unless your name is Doug Stanhope, then you wonder how much surgery one needs to not make you gay for doing the deed....

Moving right along.... If you must swap a vtec head on, just go with the y8, especially if you arn't doing anything exotic with the build for all out racing. If you needed the extra high rpm greatness of the z6 you wouldn't be using a Y block anyway due to that clever oiling snafu that honda dreamed up for us.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Yes.......................Transplant a bisimoto cam in your y7 head =D Along with several other transplants, the much heralded but least gainful I/H/E combo, and the coveted EX Tranny Swap..... Much like a real "tranny" swap, but with out extra cock to ruin it for you. Unless your name is Doug Stanhope, then you wonder how much surgery one needs to not make you gay for doing the deed....

Moving right along.... If you must swap a vtec head on, just go with the y8, especially if you arn't doing anything exotic with the build for all out racing. If you needed the extra high rpm greatness of the z6 you wouldn't be using a Y block anyway due to that clever oiling snafu that honda dreamed up for us.
i luv you :), keep it non-vtec and add the bisi cam.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanx guys apreciate the help

dont know much about these bisimoto cams i plan on driving this car daily so i want to keep it as reliable as possible

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am also thinking about installing some p29 pistons to up the compression but im not sure how high it will push it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
okay someone correct me if i'm wrong but P29's normally bump to around 11:1 right? and this is also assuming you don't plan on boosting it.. because boosting with P29's is retarded...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
definitley going all N/A im thinking of just getting another Y7 head and getting the works done to it. along with new rods and the p29s
just wondering what type of power gains im looking at
any comments

·
Registered
216 Posts
definitley going all N/A im thinking of just getting another Y7 head and getting the works done to it. along with new rods and the p29s
just wondering what type of power gains im looking at
any comments
If you do it right for a street build 140-150whp and 110-120wtq. I'd say if you are gonna do all new pistons and rods buy something other than a yblock and use that as your rebuild basis so you don't blow the motor due to spun bearings, might be even better to do a 1.5 instead of the 1.6 just for the better R/S, but a6/z6 blocks are a better starting point than a yblock if you can. But if you are hell bent on a y, make sure you get a new oil pump, and have it ported by endyn or read the howto and do it but just get it done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not up on the abreviations what exactly is R/S?
also wondering what the issue is with the oil pumps?
last one are spun bearings that common? really apreciate any help man thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
still contemplating on either the Y7 or Y8 head
iknow for sure i can get my hands on a Y7 head quickly no luck for Y8 so far not for cheap any way.

·
Registered
216 Posts
not up on the abreviations what exactly is R/S?
also wondering what the issue is with the oil pumps?
last one are spun bearings that common? really apreciate any help man thanks
R/S = rod to stroke ratio, what this means is how long the rod is compared to how much the stroke is on the crankshaft. It is part of the equation in determining how high you can safely rev your motor. The other half is your valvetrain. GEnerally you improve R/S for more revs at safer pistons speeds by A Destroking the motor ie using a 1.5L crankshaft, or by using a longer rod which this method can cause even more issues because you change your piston pin height as well as there is only so much you can go on a longer rod before things start drastically getting complicated and expensive.

In extreme cases a deckplate can be fabiricated to increase deck height for use of a much longer rod, deckplates are very expensive because of the process in fitting one to a block. The example in the link below revolves around a stroker motor. (While this site below is a bseries site the article contained there in are very intelligent applicable to all motors if you read between the lines, not just b18's =)

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showarticle.asp?ArticleID=20 Read here on deckplates and the insanity involved, though very cool if the cash is there for the type of motor that would need one =D

From what I understand the ys suffer from oil starvation at high rpms.
Porting the oilpump can increase oil pressure to more reasonable levels at high rpms and lower the chance of spinning bearings. Are you definitely going to spin a bearing if you run a y and mod it? No, is it more of a possibility than a z6/a6 etc, absolutely, do you want to take the chance and have to rebuild the motor if the crank is even salvageable after that? Not a chance. So don't take the chance, do it right the first time, port the pump or have it ported ftw and don't run your car hard cold and you will probably be fine. If you are building it to beat on it all the time its better to start with a better block. Still you might not want to run the car hard all the time even with the best parts motors break. Taking precautions with performance motors keeps you safer longer, but is not fool proof.

I'm babbling, I'll stop now before I get myself in a hole lol.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
you can get z6 and Y8 heads cheap. i dont see them sell for no more than $100. as far as the people pushing you away from Y series. If they are so bad, then why the fuck are there so many 400+hp D16Y?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts