Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car came with a HID system that made my car seem like it was going to stall every time I turned the lights on. And I kept getting flashed by people who thought my brights were on. I don't like being blinded by headlights myself, so I figured I'd do something to avoid blinding others. Plus, I don't want to give cops a reason to focus their attention on me.

I started to research my options and couldn't find a manual for my HID system anywhere. Finally I just went up to Napa and asked one of their guys for some advice. He explained that if I wanted regular bulbs, all I had to do was unplug the HID balasts and plug in new bulbs. Easy peasy. He suggested these Napa White Lite Premium bulbs because they're bright, even though he said I might be disappointed after using HIDs.

I bought them, took out the HID system and put these in. They're plenty bright enough. My car doesn't stumble when I turn on the lights, and so far nobody has flashed their brights at me when I pass them on the road. I paid $23.66 including tax. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Thanks for the information. While I'm happy that I got rid of the HID system, I'm not to happy with what the previous owner did when he installed it. The headlights don't really fit under the hood right. They look like a slightly different shape than OEM. They also cut the wires so I can only hook up one set of lamps, the ones on the outside, which I think are supposed to be for highbeams, but I'm not sure. The remaining wires are too short to reach to the inner lenses.

After I do the bearings and seals on my transmission, I'll see if I can find some OEM lenses at the junkyard and then I'll see about trying the relay idea.

This where I have to install the bulbs. The wires won't reach the other lens.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Are crx headlights the same? I think I have a spare set of CRX headlights I would trade for the HID setup.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn. I gave the ballasts to the parts guy. One of them had water dripping out of it anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks for the review of these bulbs. i've been working at a napa store for about 2 years now and always wondered about these over the brightlight bulbs i got from them a while ago. those both burned out within 8 months or so but did seem a little brighter. i'm always looking for lighting upgrades but i think in my case i'm going to have to try to bend my headlight assy brackets on the vehicle to realign the lights because of previous owner damage to the front right. it points like 10 feet up in the air now as is lol.

edit: just looked into availability of lights and the "britelite" bulbs i bought previously have been superseded by a long life bulb with a blue tint.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm happy with them so far. They're plenty bright enough, and I don't get people flashing their brights at me like I did before.

The lenses the previous owner left me with aren't that great and point a little too high. Hopefully I can adjust them. I'll see if I can do that when the weather clears up. I gotta firgure out where water is coming from that's leaking into my spare tire area and passenger floorboard while I'm at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
two separate leaks? pass floor board is definitely water and not coolant from the heater core? trunk area is tough. check all the rubber mouldings around the trunk lid. could be coming from underneath too. water leaks are such a bitch...my driver side door gets a bit of water since i was an idiot and punched the door panel and broke it lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! I'm sure it's not coolant. My radiator stays full, and the water keeps coming. I found the water leak on the passenger side when I was checking continuity on some wires going to my ECU. At first I freaked out because I thought somehow the water may have fried my ECU, but it doesn't seem to be getting wet.

I think there may be some pieces missing on my firewall letting water in, and I found a crack one of the seals around one of my hatchback hinges.

I want to get out there and dig around some more, maybe take out some interior panels and have my wife spray the car, but it's been raining for like a week straight. UGH.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts