Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I would like to say hello to everyone I am on this site all the time but was just too lazy to register but figured it would be a good idea to do so. I drive a honda del sol as well as a crx. The del sol is a d16z6 with a greddy turbo kit tuned on crome. All was going well and the engine lasted 315 000 kms (boosted for 5 years :p) anyways it finally gave way and today i picked up a sohc zc vtec from a local importer for 450 canadian. Compression test is good 220 psi across the board. Now Im going to swap it in should I yank the head off right away and put a new headgasket as well as my old arp from the old engine? Or should I stick with the stock for now? If I do stick with the stock how long do you think they will last im shooting for 195 whp.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Did you do that hyper link or was that the site.

op get new ARP headstuds and an oem headgasket. as to which head? depends on their condition and your goals

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
new arps? I thought I could re-use my old ones there only 7 months old maybe 15000 kms on them? and yes i plan to do timing belt as well as the waterpump

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
im a perfectionist i would replace them.

but yeah arp says you can retorque them like 7 ties

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Re the ARPs

It actually depends on if they where ever over torqued. You can keep reusing them as long as you strictly follow the instructions and use some sense about it. If they have never been stretched to yield, they can be reused. If stretched past yield edven for one second, they are damaged goods.

At the power level your talking, and the perfect compression, I would just drop it in after doing the normal sensible maintenance like replace timing belt, water pump, tensioner and rear main oil seal, simply because it is cheap and easy while the engine is out and it costs so much or does so much damage if they fail.

If and when it blows a gasket, what have you lost. You still only have to pull the head and replace the gasket.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats true I would have to only replace the headgasket and get the head checked by a machine shop and resurfaced so I will probably just drop it in is there anyway to check if the arps are stretched? I follwed the instructions to the tee when i first installed them. Also should i check if the ones in the new engine are torqued to spec or just leave them? And yes I did the regular stuff oil seal timing belt waterpump thanks for all of your help

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
you will have to measure the threads with ruler or some kind of measuring system to see if there stretched

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
If you know their history and you never over torqued them, I would just use them again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts