Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
civic lol
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the 4 2 1 headers and the gasket between 4 and 2 keeps breaking..i think i need a bracket by the headers or what would be wrong?any pictures of this bracket would be helpful so i can tell the muffler shop where to put it...thx

·
Registered
civic lol
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
idk but its a thin layer one right now and its broken....i used to use the ebay ones i think their calld mirage or sumshit...i have brand new high performance gasket kit from ebay but dont wanna puttem on so they can break again u know..

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Those gaskets are a composite material. I got one for the 2-pc 4-2-1 in my DD right now. I've never had your problem before. Is your exhaust system properly hung on rubber hangers?

There is an OEM bracket that attaches to the back of the block that attaches to a bracket off the side of the OEM DP. Most cheaper headers don't come with said bracket though.

·
Registered
civic lol
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
civic lol
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those gaskets are a composite material. I got one for the 2-pc 4-2-1 in my DD right now. I've never had your problem before. Is your exhaust system properly hung on rubber hangers?

There is an OEM bracket that attaches to the back of the block that attaches to a bracket off the side of the OEM DP. Most cheaper headers don't come with said bracket though.
its hung but i dont know if its hung properly.. ill try to get pix for you tomoro..i dont think my DP has that bracket to the back of the block tho..maybe thats why its breaking..ill probaly weld them together

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey. i love the two piece headers cause when u scrape the bottom..u can buy an ebay one and use switch the bottom piece. i did it with my DC headers..what a save!!!! plus those gaskets suck. mine broke once every month. then i bought the O rings that stock headers use. buy two and set it nicely with the header holes. and screw it in. be careful to adjust the O rings so there are no leaks..works fine for me. ghetto but it works.

looks something like the first one.. http://www.bestvalueautoparts.com/RenderScriptTemplate.epc?_cmd=epccat_VehicleWHD&[email protected]@1995&[email protected]@[email protected]@B&[email protected]@CIVIC+DEL+SOL&[email protected]@L4-1493cc+1.5L+F/[email protected]@21869&[email protected]@Exhaust/Clutch&[email protected]@Individual+Exhaust+Parts&mode=PA&source=GOOGLEBASE&clientid=BestValueAutoParts

·
Registered
civic lol
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i just got some new gaskets (steel) and blew it in like 1 day ..i have a new set but ima just weld them together then call it a day... ive been blowing gaskets for too long now..lol

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,928 Posts
Do you have an exhaust with a flex pipe? Do you have stiff engine mounts?

My guess would be that the engine movement is causing the header joint to flex which is breaking your gaskets.

I ran a 1pc header, test pipe, and comptech exhaust on my RSX which eliminated the flex joint...ended up pulling the b-pipe out of the resonator. Flex pipe FTW

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
there are many reasons why this is happening. i think you're missing the one reason this is happening. ad where you you start... you motor mounts.

as your motor flexes forward and back your exhaust has no way to flex so it seems that is the most logical pivot point. look at this way " L _ _________" you see the L is the first part of the header the first _ is the second part of the header and the other _ is the exhaust. where the second part of the header and exhaust meets, there's joints there a doughnut and springs t0 help seal and flex. but since your motor mounts are so worn out. it flexs even more than to use to. so the next flex point is the place where the piece header joints.

so inturn it's usually not what one think is the problem but another failure to progress the gasket to die faster but it also puts wear on you shifting too.

·
Registered
civic lol
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh shit so even if i get a flex pipe ,or get it welded, the motor mounts will affect my engine and shifting?where can i get good deals on motor mounts?ebay?

·
Registered
94' DX 2-Dr
94 Posts
Innovative mounts for the top.. (Check the forum sponsors) and the lower torque mounts, buy the energy suspension polyurethane motor mount inserts, but before you do the inserts, make sure the mounts are still decent.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts