Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I have been searching around for opinions on headers, now most people seem to say that they don't do anything on D17's, but I want to get an opinion from you guys who have used different types of headers.

I have a 2005 Civic Sedan (7th Gen)

It's mostly a stock car, It's going to be a street driven car not a race car, so I dont want to lose all my power down low.

I see that DC seems to be a popular brand and Meagan, also that there are 4-2-1 designs and 4-1 designs.

Which headers should I go for?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey I've got a chakira 4-1 header for my 7th gen and there were deffinatley noticeable differences on my "ass dyno" lol not sure how much or where the gains were made but it took my car from barely being able to spin the tires to leaving 2 phat black patches in front of my condo without a problem

·
Registered
'02 Civic LX Coupe
609 Posts
I've had good luck with my cheap ass HP Racing 4-1. I noticed a good difference up top and didn't lose too much down low either. I got it matched up with a 2 1/4" crush bent crap exhaust as well.

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
dont waste your time modding the 05. Any 7th gen made after 03 will notice any mod you do to it after a week or so and the car will remap itself and remove any power you may have gained.

·
Registered
27 Posts
dont waste your time modding the 05. Any 7th gen made after 03 will notice any mod you do to it after a week or so and the car will remap itself and remove any power you may have gained.

u sure about that man.. I have never heard of that.
My 04 seems to still have the (very slight) gain from the CAI and Exhaust

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
u sure about that man.. I have never heard of that.
My 04 seems to still have the (very slight) gain from the CAI and Exhaust
yup, its a learning ecu.
its all in your mind.

I had an 01, i sold it cause i did every bolt on you could possibly do to the car and it still didnt do shit.

if you have gained more then 1hp your lucky.

·
Registered
27 Posts
yup, its a learning ecu.
its all in your mind.

I had an 01, i sold it cause i did every bolt on you could possibly do to the car and it still didnt do shit.

if you have gained more then 1hp your lucky.
wow.. good to know.. guess ill skip the header all around since sounds like its not worth it at all. low and slow i guess haha

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
wow.. good to know.. guess ill skip the header all around since sounds like its not worth it at all. low and slow i guess haha
i was looking for the info that states its a learning ecu.
but i remember seeing it on 7thgencivic years ago when i had one and was a member. sadly that forum doesnt exist anymore. i think it turned into clubcivic.

i had a bored TB, AEM V2, megan header and downpipe (for some reason they sell it seperate) custom catback and a apexi VAFC2.

all of that and basically no change in power led to me selling it and getting an EJ6.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
false information

any car that gets more breathing room makes the ecu adjust for the new setup, not adjust back to stock.

and a tip for those that want the most out of your boltons without tuning (header, intake, maybe a VERY mild cam) disconnect your battery and pull the ecu fuse, go inside for a meal, come back outside start the car and idle. dont touch the gas at all. once it hits operating temp on the gauge, let it sit for another 15-20 minutes. the ECU is learning the new breathing parameters and since you are not touching the gas, it is preloading the new maps that were calculated into the memory for good. its not gonna burn onto the chip, but every Honda ecu has a backup. even if you chip your ecu and tune it for a turbo, you can make the ecu run on stock maps. its a matter of triggering it. and in this process I just explained, its changing that stock map loaded in memory for all time and adjusting it.

Source: lots and lots of reading at several honda tuning sites and lots of questions asked and answered

/info rant :bigok:

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
What he's talking about is when you try to alter the timing with a cam gear on the D17, it's been dyno proven to do one of two things:

1. Nothing.
2. Perform worse.

Not to mention, when you add a piggyback to the D17, it tries like mad to tune around that, idle relearn procedures or not. It's not a fun ECU to play with.

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
false information

any car that gets more breathing room makes the ecu adjust for the new setup, not adjust back to stock.

and a tip for those that want the most out of your boltons without tuning (header, intake, maybe a VERY mild cam) disconnect your battery and pull the ecu fuse, go inside for a meal, come back outside start the car and idle. dont touch the gas at all. once it hits operating temp on the gauge, let it sit for another 15-20 minutes. the ECU is learning the new breathing parameters and since you are not touching the gas, it is preloading the new maps that were calculated into the memory for good. its not gonna burn onto the chip, but every Honda ecu has a backup. even if you chip your ecu and tune it for a turbo, you can make the ecu run on stock maps. its a matter of triggering it. and in this process I just explained, its changing that stock map loaded in memory for all time and adjusting it.

Source: lots and lots of reading at several honda tuning sites and lots of questions asked and answered

/info rant :bigok:
i know what im talking about. if i didnt i never wouldve opened my mouth.
that idle relearn process wont be worth a fuck a week down the road, as the car is noticing different shit done to it and making adjustments as it sees fit to counteract them.

this is from exp not reading opinions from mofo's on the intrawebs.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I don't own a 7th gen I got a 5th and was probally going toe get a 6th or 7th gen @ the end of next yr but I did hear that on the 7th gen the ecu relearns for fuel no power like 6th and 5th gen so maybe that's why you can't really mod a 7th gen.

·
Registered
92 civic hatch si
752 Posts
It's "headers" because he is talking about several different types. If he was talking about a specific one it would be a"header".

·
Registered
HONDA CIVIC,COUPE
40 Posts
ok
guys i have a d17 too

and im guessing
whats the average times at the strip
with the next modd in a d17, level sea

ACT clutch stage 3
fidanza flywheel
xtune heder