Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the FI guys...
have you done any headwork?
3angle?
port-n-polish?
ti-valve spring, ti retainers?

i plan on building a d16 w/ vtec, and maybe run around 225-250whp.
at those power levels would i better off getting the headwork done?
or will the stock/oem head/components flow enough?

at those power levels, i dont know if a stage2 crower cam & ti-valve/retainers would be needed.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
For only 225-250whp your stock head is all you need. Stock head are proven up to 400HP already. Head work should help out but not needed. Save the money for the tune.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
i agree with vtec bomber. not necessary at all but a better flowing head means u will see boost sooner. just get a slighty larger throttle body off of an integra or an h22 and port match that.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
if u plan to increase rpm then yes u need head work. but d's dont make alot of power up top unless u got some serious head work going on. if u have the right set up and the power is still climbing at 7000 then yes i reccomend a head job and TI springs/retainers and a more agressive cam.

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
Adding to that... Doing headwork is always a good idea. Improving the flow of your engine is never a bad idea. But with you hp goals it is not totally necessary. pistons, rods, arp's and boost with the proper setup and tune will hit that no problem

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I hate to tell you this but you will probly not get those hp goals all motor.
reading owns me yet again
i dont believe he specified if he was going all motor or boost. but u would need one holy grail of a head to get u anywhere even close to 225 all motor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if u plan to increase rpm then yes u need head work. but d's dont make alot of power up top unless u got some serious head work going on. if u have the right set up and the power is still climbing at 7000 then yes i reccomend a head job and TI springs/retainers and a more agressive cam.
reading/searching. that seems to be the consensus, about 7000-7200.

thanks guys.

post #1 states FI(force induction, turbo in this case).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys. like someone already said. that'll save me $$$ for other upgrades.

i just didnt know how prone the stock valvetrain is to valve float.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts