Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything out there to fix this problem...I used Oven Cleaner to clean carbon build up, which didn't work all that great... It turned my surface black....Is that bad for sealing?

·
No Tune No Life!
2,045 Posts
Is there anything out there to fix this problem...I used Oven Cleaner to clean carbon build up, which didn't work all that great... It turned my surface black....Is that bad for sealing?
You used a hot tank set up for Steel and cast iron. it has a little different chemical set up than a hot tank for just aluminum or both. the only way to remove that coating and to scrub it off or sand it off.

NO CHEMICAL WILL REMOVE IT!

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
You used a hot tank set up for Steel and cast iron. it has a little different chemical set up than a hot tank for just aluminum or both. the only way to remove that coating and to scrub it off or sand it off.

NO CHEMICAL WILL REMOVE IT!
So when they hot tank steel they essentially use a chemical similar to oven cleaner?

·
No Tune No Life!
2,045 Posts

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
I wouldnt worry to much about the black coating, unless you can feel that it took material off just sand it off with some 1000 grit sandpaper or a sharpening stone and throw it on. make sure the head is level though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i resprayed a small portion of the surface with the oven cleaner....and wiped it with in seconds....seemes the black stuff buffed out, maybe an alumnium polish will work...

·
No Tune No Life!
2,045 Posts
i resprayed a small portion of the surface with the oven cleaner....and wiped it with in seconds....seemes the black stuff buffed out, maybe an alumnium polish will work...
DAMN must not have been in there long. I ran the Hot tanks at my school quite often and the kids that put the aluminum parts were usually very unhappy because nothing short of scrubbing, sanding or machining would remove the coating.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
i let it sit overnight...i just sprayed some more oven cleaner on the rag...and polish with a little bit of elbow grease....comes out pretty decent...what makes it turn black in the first place?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Ya aluminum turning black is a chemical reaction and is bad news. I destroyed a head by adding to much cleaner to the tank once. If it is not pitted you should be fine I would almost get it resurfaced you don’t want weak metal holding down your head gasket. My local shop only want 31 to resurface a head.

·
Poop Sock
3,798 Posts
I use gasket remover when i clean out carbon build up. works great! just dont get it on your skin lol it burns. when you spray it on the carbon just let it sit. it bubbles a lot!

·
Registered
476 Posts
i always use a 3" 3m bristle disk, white the softest compound they make, shines a head surface in seconds if you have a compressor that can keep up with a die grinder. and at the wrecking yard i work at we wash everything in a hot tank setup for aluminum so none of that disimiliar metal problems, at the machine shop my dad works at, 2 huge hot tanks, 1 for aluminum, 1 for cast or steel, wish they'd get the ultrasonic cleaner fixed

1 - 20 of 21 Posts