Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
formerly Kit88
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading here and there, and saw that some people now is using oem head studs on big whp d's.

Should I go with new oem head studs, or better the arp's??

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
ARP's just for the peice of mind. no need to have them stretch and then loose the HG and have to redo it just cause you didnt get good studs

·
formerly Kit88
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I have been using arp's, just trying to check about the oem head studs, need to find the link where I read about the new oem headstuds working great.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Yeah, I have been using arp's, just trying to check about the oem head studs, need to find the link where I read about the new oem headstuds working great.
can you reuse them tho? cause ive def reused my headstuds least 10 times

·
Registered
487 Posts
For the price of new OEM bolts you might as well get ARP's.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I know people here that had head lifting issues with arps, switched to oem head bolts and solved the issue. BUT that could have been user error. And ARP has a new design. I'd go for arps.

·
formerly Kit88
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know people here that had head lifting issues with arps, switched to oem head bolts and solved the issue. BUT that could have been user error. And ARP has a new design. I'd go for arps.
new design on the arp's ??? do you have more info on it??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive had a guy in my shop that was using stock headbolts (d16z6) slightly over torqued and lifted his head at 7psi. Switched to ARP, torqued to 80lb/sq in and no issues at 10 psi. Stock everything else. Did not try to boost more but you get the point. Make sure you are not using an ebay headgasket

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Ive had a guy in my shop that was using stock headbolts (d16z6) slightly over torqued and lifted his head at 7psi. Switched to ARP, torqued to 80lb/sq in and no issues at 10 psi. Stock everything else. Did not try to boost more but you get the point. Make sure you are not using an ebay headgasket
head lift is do more to a tuning issue instead of a psi.
and i doubt hugo will be using a egay HG

·
Registered
100 Posts
OEM headbolts are torque to yield, meaning they stretch once they have been torqued and are not meant to be re-used. I'm not saying they haven't been re-used and worked fine but that's just what is recommended from factory. AND as stated already for the price of ARP why not run them.

·
Registered
487 Posts
head lift is do more to a tuning issue instead of a psi.
and i doubt hugo will be using a egay HG
My thoughts exactly. I read somewhere I while ago, where an ARP representative said that over torquing the ARP head studs won't result in any benefit and will over stretch the stud or even cause the stud to snap. I have personally torqued them to 72LBS, but no more beyond that.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
OEM headbolts are torque to yield, meaning they stretch once they have been torqued and are not meant to be re-used. I'm not saying they haven't been re-used and worked fine but that's just what is recommended from factory. AND as stated already for the price of ARP why not run them.
find me one ounce of proof they are TTY.

i used to say they were TTY, i cant even remember where i picked that info up.

then one day i was asked to quote my source for that information. guess what, I COULDNT FIND IT.

·
Registered
225 Posts
72-80lbs! haha wow. Mine are at 62ftlbs. I was afraid to go any more. Held 32psi with my 6262 with zero issues. Other than trying to tear the block in two :/

new design on the arp's ??? do you have more info on it??
They used to be a skinnier shaft and flare out for the threads in the block, now they are the same size all the way down. We just used some in a local sohc build.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
ya ryan, i use 65ftlb on mine. no need to go higher...

as for stock head bolts? thats pretty intense. but i do know my old boosted ZC VTEC was on stock head bolts trapping 106-107mph for 2 years. not one issue.

a good tune goes a long way!

·
Registered
100 Posts
New head bolts a MUST?

This thread had mixed results, but i'm leaning toward you being correct. The instructor at my school told me about TTY bolts being most common but apparently late model Hondas don't have them (teacher is pretty old school btw). But all in all ARP is the way to go.

find me one ounce of proof they are TTY.

i used to say they were TTY, i cant even remember where i picked that info up.

then one day i was asked to quote my source for that information. guess what, I COULDNT FIND IT.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts